Starter culture for meads?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use hot water & must in a 50:50 ratio, with a good pinch each of yeast nutrient, yeast energizer & D.A.P. Though simply following the rehydration directions on the yeast packet works fine too. I suppose one could do both. There are some who swear by rehydrating with Go-Ferm & water only. I can see advantages (at least as percieved by me) to all of these techniques & I may use them all at some point, but I've had good luck so far with my methods, so I'll probably stick with them until such time that something causes me to alter that. Regards, GF.

I'm keen to try a starter...but I usually end up in such a darn hurry that I don't. A lot of the mead I make is spur of the Moment, and I just don't have time for a starter. I do however remember Schram talking about using a 1 litre starter of D-47 for a mead in his book. He also speaks of making the starter the same or similar, as to what GF said. I'll give it a shot on my next mead and see if I can tell a difference. Higher Pitching rate has got to be a good thing doesn't it?

Latest posts

Back