Cacao nibs or powder for secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt3989

Reaction score
The title is pretty straight forward, what are your opinions? What brands are you using? Where do you buy?

I'm doing a chocolate cherry stout and i am about to rack to a secondary, i have 5 lbs of tart cherries, and I'm trying to figure out if i want nibs or powder, and how much for a fairly forward chocolate flavor. I'll also be adding one or two vanilla beans to even out chocolate too.

Id do nibs in secondary, or powder in boil. Ive never added powder to the secondary, but I hear its a messy hastle.

I used 8 oz of Organic Cacao nibs in the secondary. I roasted 6 oz of the nibs in the oven at 350 for about 8-10 minutes (smelled like brownies). For the same stout, I chopped and mixed 4 oz. of baker chocolate with 3/4 cup of spiced rum. I added 1 vanilla bean to this to bring out the chocolate more. I ended up sticking the swing-top that this mixture was in into a pan of water on the stove to melt it right before I added it in secondary.

I found the nibs at an organic/slow food movement type of store (they had a meat locker for grassfed meat etc.). I bought the baker's chocolate at the grocery store, easy to get, along with the vanilla bean. The beer before bottling was chocolatey (and coffee) awesomeness. I only aged on nibs for about 7 days. Should be done conditioning in about two weeks.

:) I was wondering the exact same thing. I brewed the Andes Mint Chocolate Stout 9 days ago and forgot to add the Cocoa powder to the boil. :mad:

I think I'll try the Cacao nibs for one half and a few ounces of cocoa powder with the other half.

Back