Nicholas Cage...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
shouldn't he just hang it up? I was thinking that the last good movie he made was like Raising Arizona in 87 or Adaptation in 2002.

The Elvis thing is wearing thin.

hehe - you watching TNT or similar? Last movie I liked with him in it was face off but I know what you mean. He's connected in the biz though. What the hell was that last flick where he's flame boy? Probably already out on dvd.

I guess I've liked more of his films than the rest. I thought National Treasure was cool, Face Off, and gone in 60seconds. But that's only my opinion.

I've been saying the same thing about Tom Hanks for quite awhile now. Shoulda hung it up after Gump.

But, hey people, if Nic Cage quits the biz, then who will Hollywood look to be the mindless macho hero in its neverending gravy train of mindless macho action flicks? Bruce Willis is too old. The new breed doesn't have the same capacity for trite one-liners that Nic does. Hollywood needs Nic Cage! I mean, what are they supposed to do? Make movies with better plots? Pshaw!

Something about Cage just makes me angry, which is odd because for the most part I am a calm person. I think he sucks as an actor.

Brewpastor said:
Something about Cage just makes me angry, which is odd because for the most part I am a calm person. I think he sucks as an actor.

Case-in-point: "Con-Air". His failed attempt at a country/redneck accent was just...sad. Right up there with DeNiro's Max Cady character in the Cape Fear remake. Pathetic! 'COUNSELAHHHH' Oye!

I like Cage and Hanks. Leaving Las Vegas is one of my favorites. I think Hanks keeps choosing good movies, but you're right about cage... I wasn't very fond of National Treasure.

Everyone has opinions. I don't particularly care for Hefes or Porters. I think Cage is one of my favorite actors. I liked:

The Rock
Matchstick Men
Lord of War
National Treasure
Raising Arizona

Sure, he's been in a lot of crap but I'm glad he keeps trying.

Obviously he's capable of fine stuff. He has an Oscar and one nomination.
It's the throwaway stuff that tics me off.
Same with Cusak.

I would be as if 2/3 of all of Rogues beers were secretly Bud Lite and you had no way of knowing in advance.

The Terminal? Road to Perdition? Green Mile? You've Got Mail? Cast Away?

Yeah, there are a few good ones interspersed in there, like Catch Me If You Can, which wasn't bad, and Saving Private Ryan wasn't awful. But the market's been saturated with Hanks, and it's time to cool it already.

As others have said, Cage has done good stuff too. Leaving Las Vegas, Adaptation, Lord of War, Raising Arizona, etc. But the vast majority of his portfolio reads like a list of TBS "Action Movie Marathon" candidates. The Rock. Con-Air. Gone in 60 Seconds. Face/Off. His chick-flick creds are nearly as sad...Family Man, honeymoon in vegas, City of Angels, etc.

I actually like a fair amount of his movies; it's his acting style that gets on my nerves.

I know, just opinions. I'm certainly just one man and I have one set of opinions. Don't take offense, please.

Personally I thought that Terminal and Cast Away were both a bit...strained, if that makes sense. Like they took a very thin plot line and tried to do too much with it. Green mile, IMHO, was a little too cutesy and predictable. "Ohh, look at the big black man who's simple-minded, big-hearted and has magical powers! He gon' teach them white folks some things about life!" Don't get me wrong, they're not "bad" movies, per se. I can sit through them and be entertained (Cast Away tests that capacity though). But they're nothing I'd go out of my way to watch.

I like Niclose Cage...I can see why people dont like him though.
'Vampires Kiss' is a funny movie, an over-acting tour-de-force. 'Valley Girl' is 80's RAD, and 'Raising Arizona' is great too.

He is annoying though, anyone see him do the Daytona 500 "start your engines"?
I definitely wanted to punch him then.

edit: I definitely dont want to 'pinch' him...

Let's not forget
"Snake Eyes"
and
"Wild At Heart".
If cage is good enough for DePalma and Lynch, he's good enough for me.

"Con Air" and "The Rock" sucked BTW.

No mention of Honeymoon in Vegas? I like funny Cage - serious Cage is rather annoying.

Hanks hasn't been good since, ummm, well, I never really liked him. Honestly, there are THOUSANDS of actors that could have done Forest Gump. His performance was FAR from brilliant.

As an actor, I can take him or leave him. I don't really care.

He just produced The Dresden Files on SciFi. I enjoyed the show, but the books are far better.

Evan! said:
Case-in-point: "Con-Air". His failed attempt at a country/redneck accent was just...sad. Right up there with DeNiro's Max Cady character in the Cape Fear remake. Pathetic! 'COUNSELAHHHH' Oye!
Don't forget Pacino's "hispanic " accent in Scarface. What the hell was he thinking???

DeNiro scared the **** outta me in Cape Fear so he musta been doin something right.

Course, when I think of Cape Fear, I think of Jessica Lange. When I think of Jessica Lange, I think of "The Postman Always Rings Twice" with JAck Nicholson.

That kitchen scene...
Whoa...I think that was inspiration for my namesake "muncher".

I love Hanks, I don't think I've seen a movie of his I didn't like, but I doubt I've seen them all.
Cage has he goods and bads.
I actually really like a lot of Mel Gibson's movies. He seems to be in a lot of war movies and those are my favs.

Oh and my favorite movie/series of all time is Band of Brothers and Hanks directed that, so more props there.

I'm surprised I'm not seeing anyone mention the single most expensive bit of comic book fan fiction ever produced: Ghost Rider.

Talk about awful

I think Cage is okay. There's some good movies and bad ones. Didn't he play in City of Angels? I thought that was a pretty good movie.

I think the best actor currently is Johnny Depp. He's versatile, daring, not-so daring, and convincing

Best actress I'd have to split it at a tie between Natalie Portman (though she sucked in Star Wars, and I like Star Wars), and Nicole Kidman.

rdwj said:
No mention of Honeymoon in Vegas? I like funny Cage - serious Cage is rather annoying.

Hanks hasn't been good since, ummm, well, I never really liked him. Honestly, there are THOUSANDS of actors that could have done Forest Gump. His performance was FAR from brilliant.

Dude, I have to disagree, Forest Gump + Big made me love Tom Hanks (not in a gay way) as an actor.

Are there thousands of actors that could have pulled off Big?

seefresh said:
Are there thousands of actors that could have pulled off Big?

No, I'll give you Big - that was a great movie. About the only other guy I could see doing that movie, and it sounds a little strange, is Adam Sandler.

Forest Gump was a great movie because of the script. Almost anyone delivered the starring role equally well.

Adam Sandler... hmm, good call there. Luckily Robin Williams didn't get the part, now that guy annoys the **** out of me.

EDIT: Oh! And maybe.. Fred Savage? Maybe...

Tom Hanks is cool, Big, Private Ryan, Gump was awesome the first time I saw it, still has good parts (like the whole vietnam scene) I thought Castaway minus the beggning and end was great.

But!@!!@!@!

This thread is about Nicholas Cage and nothingsuch as bull****!!!!

Also shut the **** up, all you bitches who don't fully respect the Cage as of yet....

You will or not...it will be decades...shut it you...

seefresh said:
Luckily Robin Williams didn't get the part, now that guy annoys the **** out of me.

Amen! He annoys me too. I don't mind some of his movies when he's playing a serious role, but he would have DESTROYED Big.

There are very few actors that would make me avoid seeing a film... OK, let me change that: Only ONE actor would keep me away from a film and that is Nic Cage.

I'll gladly concede that he has had a pair of good roles (Raising Arizona and Adaptation), but I think credit for those must go to the writers of those films (the Coen Brothers, who I adore; and Charlie Kaufman, a creative genius - respectively). Cage is undeserving of his status as one of Hollywood's leading actors. His performances are so wooden, lacking emotion and expression. I perceive in him a stoned-out detachment in whatever's going on around him in nearly every scene. He'll recite the dialog but it never comes out right. I don't think he has the ability to consistently make you believe he's someone else. It's not a character up there - it's Nic Cage.

FWIW, SWMBO's pick for most-hated actor is Tom Cruise...

seefresh said:
Adam Sandler... hmm, good call there. Luckily Robin Williams didn't get the part, now that guy annoys the **** out of me.
I am going to have to third that. I absolutely can' t stand him. No other actor annoys me as much. Even his stand up sucks.

Latest posts

Back