New Maple Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evilwig

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm starting my fifth brew next week. I decided to do a maple strong porter.
Here's a recipe I made inspired from different recipe found on the web and from rawl28 recipe.

% KG MALT OR FERMENTABLE HWE
50% 3.000 American Two-row Pale
17% 1.000 Crystal Malt
17% 1.000 Maple Syrup
12% 0.700 Munich Malt
5% 0.300 Chocolate Malt

Batch size: 23.0 liters

hops
USE TIME GRAMS VARIETY FORM AA
boil 60 mins 30 Centennial leaf 10.0
boil 15 mins 20 Mt. Rainier leaf 6.8

Boil: 20.0 avg liters for 60 minutes

yeast
White Labs London Ale (WLP013)

misc
USE TIME AMOUNT INGREDIENT
boil 25 min 1kg Rosted Peacan.

What do you think?

I was wondering if I should add some maple syrup in the secondary as well or maybe add some maple extract?

That is a lot of maple syrup, I'd mash really high to make sure the beer doesn't end up too thin. Adding the maple after primary fermentation might be a good idea, all the CO2 produced in primary tends to drive off subtle aromatics.

Watch out with the nut addition, I did a toasted walnut brown ale and the fat from the nuts gave it the head retention of cocoa cola. That was just ~1/4 lb in the mash, 1 kg in the boil might make for an oily mess.

Since Am new at this, what do you mean by mash really high?

Mash at a hotter temperature than you would other wise say 156-158 F (69-70 C). This will make the alpha amylase enzyme more active than the beta amylase, which will create more long chain (unfermentable) dextrins.

I see, what I always did so far, is mash for an hour at 80 C, and this for all the recipe I did.
I didn't know that the temperature had this much of an impact. Did leaving at 80 for more or less than an hour has any gain of effect too?

For the nut addition I was thinking on only putting them 25 mins before the end of the hour.
But I could but put some in the mash and the some in the boil. What would be the effect?

80 C (176 F) is above the range on enzymatic activity (as far as I am aware) this would lead to a very starch finished beer. Do you take original gravity and final gravity readings.

That was my one experience making a beer with nuts, so I'm not the expert on it. I would do a search on here for nuts, there look like quite a few threads (although at a quick glance I didn't see any actual results).

Well, the batch is in the primary.

I mashed at 65 celcius

Finally, I used 400gr of mixed peacan and walnut rosted them in the oven for about an hour and I put them in @30 mins during the boil.

it left a small oil film on top but nothing dramatic. I also settle on using two can of 540ml a maple syrup @15 minutes in the boil.

I'll see what's the taste before putting it in secondary and I might at some more nuts or maple syrup in secondary.

Also, my OG was 1.058

Back