NOOB Old CO2 Tank Safety Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memphomaniac

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just picked up three 20lb tanks from someone on Craigslist who was selling a bunch of concessions equipment. I paid $40 for three tanks and a regulator (which I probably won't use). None of them have a current certification. The blue one has a 1999 stamp, the aluminum one has a 2000 stamp, and the last stamp I can see on the really crappy looking one on the right is 1994.

It has a sticker on it though, and I was wondering if that might be a '99 test?

Here's my main question: the crappy looking one on the right actually has Co2 in it. It will probably be a couple of weeks before I can take them in for an exchange or for a cert. Should I be concerned about the safety of that tank, especially if it hasn't been checked since 94? Should I release the gas?

Also, are the steel ones too rusty to exchange or recert?

IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0043.JPG

Just bring them all to get filled. They will tell you which ones are good, which ones may need service and which ones to just toss. Rust doesnt mean a tank is bad so dont rule it out.

If you take them in, the place will likely want $25 a piece to re-certify them. Nobody will fill them if they are past due for re-certification.

Arneba28 -- Thanks for the advice. Was hoping the rust wouldn't be too bad.

malkore - Yeah I figured I would have to get them re-certified, but for what I have in them I thought I was still getting a good deal.

Are there places that will exchange out-of-date cylinders, or would they charge for the re-cert too? I was also hoping to trade down one or two of them if I could so I could get a 5lb for my 4912.

If you've a Praxair nearby...try them.
I took a 20lb tank that was out of cert for over a decade and they just swapped it out and gave me a new one.

Best of luck!

:mug:

My local Nexair swaps without looking at date, I just thought they checked and recertified as needed...

Some places will swap swap them if they're over their cert date and others won't it all depends on the company. The only way to know is to take them in and ask. I'm not sure what the sticker is for. The test date are required to be stamped into the tank itself AFAIK. Even if you have to get them all certified you're talking $115.00 for three 20lb tanks. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Here's a summary of what you might run into:

1. The place exchanges tanks, doesn't care if your are expired, and absorbs the cost of recirt by higher exchange prices.

2. The place exchanges tanks but charges a surcharge if your trade in needs a recert. (therefore keeps exchange prices lower.)

3. The place doesn't exchange and requires you to get your tanks recertified prior to filling your tank. In that case, call a fire safety place that deals in extinguishers. I pay $12 for a recert there.

The odds of a 1994 tank having a problem is quite low. I have a steel tank that goes back to the early 1960's and it just passed for the 8th time. 1000 psi is not a big deal.

Thanks for the rundown guys. I called a few places and got different results much like you said, the high points of which were that I can get them tested at the fire extinguisher dealer for $23, and they will fill for $20, or Praxair will exchange for $20, but they charge a $27 fee if the tanks are out of cert (he also said he would trade down to a 5lb tank, but he would have to see what I was trading first). A welding shop said they only filled tanks and didn't exchange but could send them off to another shop for testing -- he suggested the fire extinguisher place.

The odds of a 1994 tank having a problem is quite low. I have a steel tank that goes back to the early 1960's and it just passed for the 8th time. 1000 psi is not a big deal.

Thanks for that comment. I think what I'll do then is drill a hole into my 4912 and just use the tank that has gas in it until it runs out. No telling how long that will last me.

Here's another n00b question: Is there any problem with using Co2 that's been in a tank for possibly ten years or more?

"Here's another n00b question: Is there any problem with using Co2 that's been in a tank for possibly ten years or more?"

Not sure...but I wouldn't bother with it considering the cost to start fresh.

Back