Belgian Strong more yeast/sugar before bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelerguy

Reaction score
I brewed a Belgian Golden Strong Ale back on May 4th. I let the beer stay in the primary for 3 weeks and then transferred to secondary. It has been sitting in the secondary since, which is 2 months. I am thinking about bottling it now but should I add some fresh yeast into the bottling bucket along with the priming sugar?

The beer is quite clear now, but there are still tiny bubbles rising from the bottom...almost like a beer with very little carbonation. So I know there are yeast still in there doing their magic, but will it be enough to carbonate a bottle?

Also, is the standard 5 ounces enough sugar or should I add another 1 or 2 ounces to carbonate it a little more like Duvel?

yes, i would pitch some more yeast and mix well. the carbonation you are seeing is residual, most of the little guys have settled out of solution and are stuck to the bottom of your carboy.

5 ounces should work just fine.

Back