best cleaner/sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougbo

Reaction score
Is there a best combination cleaner sanitizer I can use to both clean/sanitize my beer lines and kegs? Where is the cheapest place to buy it and what is the contact time? Thanks

rdwj said:
There is no best, just use what you like.

I use Oxy-clean and Star San

EdWort said:
Me too, so that's the best for me.

Ditto . . . It's all preference. Some people like Bleach, some like Star San, some like Idopher . . . I've even heard of URINE!!!(wouldn't recomend it :cross: )

DeadYetiBrew said:
I use the C-Brite that came with the kit, is c brite inadequate at all or is it just more expensive than Oxy?

ok lets get a few terms straight first . . .

clean = no hunks of visable **** on your stuff
sanatized = most the buggys you cant see are dead/gone

If your stuff looks clean it is clean . . . . You can clean with just water if it gets the visable stuff off . . . hell you can sanatize with just water if you have something big enuff to boil that much water and get your gear in it.

C-Brite is a chlorine based cleaning solution that looks to be simular to 1 step so I'm guessing it's fine for sanatizing as well.

Oxyclean is a oxygen based cleaner. I have heard it can be used as a sanatizer BUT until I see definitive prrof I aint going to. The main reason I use oxyclean is because I am cheep and somewhat lazy. I can get the stuff just about anywhere and since I have started using it I dont have to scrub the garbage out of my carboys, all the little bubbles take care of that for me. Once I clean my carboys they just sit around waiting, sometimes covered but normally not. When I go to use them again I rinse off the dust (just water) and sanatize (Star San)

My grocery store sells a store brand (Bravo powdered cleaner) that is sodium percarbonate/Na carbonate which is similar to Oxyclean and half the price when purchased in the big tub. Before I knew any better I used OneStep as a cleaner/santizer and never had a batch infected but in the end I decided it was way too expensive. I've read somewhere that OneStep is just sodium percarbonate so one might get by using a cheaper brand for cleaning. Just my $0.02.

Back