Wire guage for Ranco ETC111000-000

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhltechie

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've decided on the Ranco controller for my chamber. I am going to get the base deal and wire it myself. Can anyone tell me what the highest guage extension cord is I can use? I looked last time I was at lowes...forget all the different guages. It seems all of the 16 or so are orange. since its going in my house i'd like to not have a huge orange cord strung across the room...or rather SWMBO would rather not have that anyway.

TIA,

M

You should be able to find the 16 ga appliance cord in black. You can also use lamp cord that is available in black, white or gold. The wire gauge required depends on the amperage draw of your refrigeration unit and the length of the run. Most of the compact refrigerators and small freezers don't draw much current. I wouldn't want a wire of any color strung across the room. Could you install another outlet near the fridge? Usually it's not that difficult to add an outlet, but it also depends on the layout of your house and the type of construction. Is there a partition wall nearby that may have an outlet on the opposite side? You may be able to add on to that circuit if there is.

The Ranco seems to max out @ 16 amps. I would size my wire accordingly so that if you ever use it for a more robust appliance you are all set (could be dangerous if you forget that the wire is undersized). You can easily find the information in the bulk wire section of Lowes or HD when they cut the wire for you.

However if you are asking the question then maybe you should buy the pre-wired version and skip the headache.

If you like lime green color you can buy a cheapie at Harbor Freight.

Back