Help me turn my horrible failure into my first new sour!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flanman

Reaction score
I was brewing my old standby Belgian blonde with raspberry but the mash went to hell in a handbasket. So after fermenting in primary for a week it stalled out at 1.020 instead of my typical 1.010-1.012 range. I transferred to secondary added my raspberry puree to see if anything would happen...NADA she GONE!! Probably not enough simple sugars due to the trash mash. So now I want to turn it into a sour beer. MY FIRST SOUR!!!!

I stored the beer in a keg on 5 psi C02 until I get around to it so I have a little time to get some simple things together for this project.

My plan was to use a Lacto and Pedio (combined) in a glass carboy and let it go in a closet at 65F for a few months. Sampling as it goes. Then depending on what happens, pitch a Brett on top to clean up after the Pedio and let it go for another 6 months.
And also with it stalled out at 1.020 and knowing the bacteria can eat all those remaining sugars can I add another 3 lbs or raspberry puree or would that make it too tart in combination with the sour.
Any tried and true recommendations for a similar scenario? Any suggestions without getting overly complex? Is this feasible?

Cheers!

I'm puzzled why the yeast didn't kick off again when you added the fruit.
Did you try to bump up the temperature to get it going?
So what does the beer taste like now?

I usually add East Coast Bug Farm after primary and let it sit 6-12 months.
If this is your first sour, I wouldn't get too complicated, just get a sour blend like WL655 or 670 or something similar and let it sit. Forget about it for at least 6 months before pulling any samples.

The beer is cloying sweet. It has a little raspberry and a weird chocolate after taste. I worked the temp up slowly to 74 F and roused the yeast and I couldn't get anymore out of it.

Are you using the ECY01 bug farm packet. I have never really used anyone other than wyeast. How well does there packaging keep on a long journey to somewhere like Alaska?

This hardly makes sense. Even if you pooched the mash temp, your yeast should have jumped at the chance to ferment the simple sugars in the fruit....

Mash temp was too high so my sugar chains are probably too long. The raspberry addition did cause a very small secondary fermentation but when adding 3 lbs raspberry puree not much is expected considering most of the rapsberry weight is water anyway. It hardly moved the SG 1 point. So with the fruit addition there would be little to hardly any secondary fermentation which there was. Hope that helps.:rockin:

Back