Buying gallons of water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donaldtatter

Reaction score
I have well water that is very high in calcium and I normally buy 5 gallons of spring water from the store for brewing.

My next brew is going to be a Czech Pilsner. Does anyone have a recommendation on what type and brand of water I should use?

Stores near me include Giant Eagle, Kroger, Walk Mart, Target, Meijer, and CVS.

I think they're pretty much all the same. Why not just go with reverse osmosis water and add salts to fit the style?

Does the grocery store have one of those fill-it-yourself distilled water machines? If so, go with that. It's not a 100% perfect zero-TDS result, but it's pretty darn good and at my grocery store it's about 30 cents/gallon. Bring in your fermenter and fill that up instead of paying for multiple plastic jugs.

Czech Pils enjoys very soft water. You can brew that style successfully with any low mineralized spring water, such as Poland Spring. (I did) Adjust pH with lactic acid and you're good to go.

For the mash? I've gone with the lower end of the acceptable range, so somewhere around 5.3-5.4.

I purchased six gallons of Poland Springs water (6 one gallon water jugs in a box) a while back when I was brewing extract from Bfs Wholesale Club (like a Sam's Club or Costco). I have kept the jugs and boxes which they came in, it makes it easier to transport them all. I now take them to Walmart or Wegmans near me and use their self fill RO machine. It averages out to be $0.35 per gallon and then I use bru'n water spreadsheet to make my mineral adjustments for the brew.

Regarding the PH level I believe off the top of my head Bru'n Water says it should be between 5.2 - 5.5. I aim to get it in there somewhere and have been happy with the results.

Back