Not enough water added in Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THRobinson

Reaction score
I did a batch a week ago, first in a long time, poured it into the primary fermenter. Instructions said to top off with water to make 5.25gal.

I forgot that I had marked out on the bucket with a sharpie, measurements in litres because the last few can-kits were in litres. (quit doing the can kits because never came out well).

Anyway, screwed up the conversion math in my head, was shy 0.5gal.

I just put the beer into the secondary fermenter, OG was 1.064, currently it's 1.020 and has been exactly 7 days.

Question is, do I leave it? or do I add additional water?

:confused:

I would just leave it. OG of 1.064 will make a nice beer. I would not water it down.

Cool, thanks... was worried missing that much water would result in a very strong taste, or very high alcohol % that may throw flavour off.

The flavor will actually be a tad better-just a tad. A missing 1/2G isn't a lot. Just enough to make a difference. I've seen some of the guys on the Cooper's sight go down from 23L (6.072G),to 19L-21L. So you're gunna be ok!

Okay, I am short a whole gallon, but I just did the boil and pitch yesterday, fermentation is rolling nicely now, OG yesterday was 1.062. (First clue that not enough water was added)

I did a full boil of 5.5 gallons to start with, and I didn't keep a close eye on the level as it boiled down.

So should I add more (sterilized) water today?

drtodd,

Leave it alone - or as someone here said -

"Step back from the beer"

Yes it might be stronger (alc and taste) but,
1. You might like that
2. Adding more water now increases the chance of a problem that you currently do not have.
3. If you don't like your beer take it to a Home Brew club and make many friends really fast!
4. You just learned an easy lesson.

Thanks for the advise...didn't know what the worst of two evils was. I literally had the water on the stove to boil before adding to the actively fermenting beer.

Looking forward to some very flavorful red ale!

Been in the secondary for over a week now, did another reading... OG was 1.064 and currently 1.018... if my iPhone app is correct, I'm looking at 6.1% ABV or 4.88% ABW.

Seems a bit strong, have no issues with that, just expected around 5.3%.

Directions said that the OG should be around 1.051 and FG 1.011... given the screw-up with water I expected it to be higher as a result. Even though it's been only a few weeks should I be bottling it now? Directions say should be ok after only a week in the secondary... I'm use to the can-kits like Coopers so, use to leaving it in the secondary 2-3 weeks.

From everything I've read here you should take another reading in 2-3 days to make sure the sg hasen't changed before you bottle.
But then I'm only a nOOb :)

Well, in the past week it's gone from 1.020 to 1.018, seems like activity has stopped a while back... just wanting to make sure given how I'm used to 2-3 weeks vs only 5-7 days.

always a chance of a typo in directions. :)

Back