Priming Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Izzle

Reaction score
I am new to home brewing and had a question about priming Apfelwein.

Is it ok to add the priming sugar to the primary then rack it to the bottles? I would add it to the bottles but I have a collection of all different sizes so it would be much easier to add it to the 5 gallons in the primary right before bottling.

I have never tried that so I don't have a definitive answer. However, my guess would be to avoid adding to the primary. In order to mix it within the primary, you run the risk of bringing all of the sediment back into suspension. I would suggest placing the priming sugar into a bottling bucket, and racking onto the sugar. That way you can leave most of the sediment behind without too much agitation.

Nuke's got it. You don't want to put the priming sugar directly into the primary. When you stir in the sugar it will also bring back into suspension all of the yeast and lees at the bottom of the primary. Instead, put your priming sugar into your bottling bucket and then rack the Apfelwein onto the sugar solution.

Back