Mistake on grain order

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DFP51

Reaction score
Just received an order of grain from Austin and realized that I double ordered the base malt (pilsner) for the Brewing Classic Styles Kolsch. The recipe as written calls for 10.5lbs pilsner and 8 oz Munich malt. I now have 21 lbs pilsner and 8 oz Munich. I am thinking my best option is to get an extra 8 oz Munich, mix everything up real well and brew two batches. Any thoughts?

That pilsner will stay fresh for a long time if you put it in a paint bucket from home depot or lowes. It can be used on another brew in the future, it's a popular base malt. Or you could just do two separate batches. Most here will suggest you do the same recipe and change something on one of them, so you can see the effects of a different yeast, different ferm temp, or different additives. Something to consider.

I would brew a double batch after adding in the rest of the munich you need (if you have the capacity). It will be tough to tell how much munich is in each batch otherwise.

I'm assuming everything is all mixed together? Then yes, I'd get another 8 oz of Munich and mix everything together really well. You could try a different hop or something in the 2nd batch.

Can't do a double batch on my set up, but that would probably be the best option. And yes, everything is mixed together. Such a freakin moron. Should have checked the order carefully before I placed it. I really wonder how much not evenly distributing the Munich will effect the flavor. I mean we are talking about nominally just under 5 percent of the grain bill. Hard to think that one batch at 3 percent and one at 7 will substantially alter the taste. I guess I am going to find out. Probably play with the fermentation temps a bit on the second batch, just for giggles.

Can't do a double batch on my set up, but that would probably be the best option. And yes, everything is mixed together. Such a freakin moron. Should have checked the order carefully before I placed it. I really wonder how much not evenly distributing the Munich will effect the flavor. I mean we are talking about nominally just under 5 percent of the grain bill. Hard to think that one batch at 3 percent and one at 7 will substantially alter the taste. I guess I am going to find out. Probably play with the fermentation temps a bit on the second batch, just for giggles.

Please we are making Kolsch here. It's subject to a lot of interpretation/misinterpretation. Munich may be perfectly to character, or perfectly out of character. Just enjoy the process ya freakin moron. Im kiddin love you man keep brewin keep ur eyes open...

I keep two base malts on hand at all times, pilsner and pale malt. Just keep it around until you want to do a saison, cream ale, golden strong, helles, wit, etc. No shortage of styles to use pilsner malt on.

BTW, that's one of the least worrisome mistakes I've ever seen on here. I recall a thread awhile back where someone accidentally ordered large amounts of crystal instead of base malt. Now that's a little more tricky - come up with a recipe to use 10lbs of crystal malt haha.

A dais on sounds like a good idea. Never made one. If I can figure how to keep the temps up I may try that

Ah didn't know you couldn't brew 10G. In that case I am w passedpawn's suggestion. Brew two of the same and mix at the end.

Saying they are well mixed doesn't say much IMO. It would be tough to visibly discern Munich from pilsner mixed in a bag for me. Maybe your eyesight is better though. Then again I tend to be overprecise with things like these, and realize that each approach would still make beer in the end :D

missed the part about them getting mixed, but still saison works fine - I put a little munich in mine anyways - guess it's a similar grain bill to what you're already doin.

Back