Hop Storage - Fridge or Freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
I'm finding mixed messages re storing your hops. What's best for unopened hops, fridge or freezer? Or does it not make a difference? Opened hops should go in the freezer in as air- and light-tight of a container as possible, yes? Thanks as always!

Hops should ALWAYS go in the freezer. Pack them as airtight as possible, preferably using a vacuum sealer or thick resealable freezer bags. It is really important to keep all the oxygen out. If you want to get really serious about it, pack all your hops inside a cooler with some crushed ice or blue packs, and then put the cooler in the freezer. This will help prevent temperature changes to the hops, which can also be problematic.

I always keep them in the freezer BUT think if they are used w/in a year then the fridge will do fine. Another way to keep the air out if you don't own one of those vacuum systems is to suck/squeeze all of the air out then use tape/rubber bands to keep the bag sealed. It is not perfect but my opened hops are always sealed well in this fashion.

You mentioned the hops are unopened. If they are in a nitrogen-flushed bag, then you do not need to worry about vacuum packing until you open the bag.

TL

Latest posts

Back