BMC > ??? > Craft Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pommy

Reaction score
This started as a drunken conversation so this is probably the best place for this...

Right so there's BMC, then theres craft beer. Right? I know there are geographical styles but they're normally the local BMC in this case. What then are the beers in between BMC and craft? I would have thought that it is the same in the US as it is here, were a macro brewery brews a line of "craft" beers which are a bit of a hybrid of the two, in terms of both intensity and price. The reason we got onto this was because we were having a conversation about how most BMC drinkers and craft beer drinkers dont like these beers as they are too much for a die hard BMC drinker or too weak for craft beer lovers. There are a LOT of people in the middle though, and we agreed that for many these beers are great because they act as a stepping stone to the more craftier brews.

So they aren't really BMC but they aren't really craft beers, what the **** are they? We need a name for them and after a few IIPAs we couldn't think of a good one.

Any ideas?

:drunk:

You're thinkin about it too much. It's all just beer. There's good beer (sometimes made by the macro guys) and there's bad beer (sometimes made by the craft guys), no need to draw lines in the sand.

Ive always thought of them as quasi-craft beer without thinking too much. Bad beer can be made by anyone with so many beers someone has a weak one. I also think ive had bad good beers because they went stale,meaning ipa's really.For instance i had smuttynose ipa,heard such good things tried it off the room temp shelf after fridging it --- Diapers, thats all i could think of when drinking it- besides the pampers it was excellent.Ive had some pretty bad SN pale ales too. But in generall SN beer has always been consistantly good.Thought their ovila was lame and would like my 15$ back or at least 5 bucks.

I believe they tend to be termed "premium beer". At least here in the States.

depends on what beers you're talking about, but all beers are classified. bmc, craft, homebrew, etc. if you tell the name, we can classify them

Goose Island and bass are owned by inbev (and bass is brewed by coors), Guiness is available pretty much everywhere. I guess I just don't understand what makes it BMC or craft...

You're thinkin about it too much. It's all just beer. There's good beer (sometimes made by the macro guys) and there's bad beer (sometimes made by the craft guys), no need to draw lines in the sand.

well said.

In my opinion, all beer is craft beer....

come on guys this is the drunken ramblings forum, it doesnt matter what it is really I just want some creative names! If theres one thing I like to go with time wasted drinking its time wasted talking complete **** so I thought this would be the forum for it...

Quasicraft is the best so far, rolls of the tounge and makes me feel clever saying it :D

Feelin' the quasicraft...but listen to Jay - it's all just beer...and some beers just suck more than others. But hell, when it comes to BMC...I can say I've certainly enjoyed a BL Golden Wheat more than some crafty category brews. So where do I stick that? BMQuasicraft?

I got a name for a clone if you use substitutions also.In case it already hasnt been used Sub-clone or subclone, which ive been doing alot because i usually dont have something, cuz you cant have everything, and as Rolling stones likes to phrase" you cant always get what you waa ant."

Back