lost a gallon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew2enjoy

Reaction score
I had to transfer my American amber into a secondary glass carboy to free up my primary. I originally had 5 gallons and now its 4. I left a small amount of beer that was really cloudy at the bottom on the cake. I can't figure out where an entire gallon went. Any ideas?

I used US-05 and it was in the primary for 3 weeks.

trub, yeast and whatever beer you left. it didn't go anywhere... a 5.0 boil at finish never gives you 5 gallons of finished beer... yeah, it sucks, but i've learned that if i brew ONE extra batch it makes up for the loss of many batches...

yeah, that's my excuse. :)

I had to transfer my American amber into a secondary glass carboy to free up my primary.

Now there's a fallacy. You really didn't have to transfer your beer. For less than $20 you could have bought another fermenter and had 2 beers in primary at once.

How did you measure your original 5 gallons? By the marks on the bucket? Those are notorious for inaccuracy. By the amount in the secondary? How did you measure that?

Now there's a fallacy. You really didn't have to transfer your beer. For less than $20 you could have bought another fermenter and had 2 beers in primary at once.

How did you measure your original 5 gallons? By the marks on the bucket? Those are notorious for inaccuracy. By the amount in the secondary? How did you measure that?

Yup I know, its an issue that has already been handled as I have ordered another primary. :D

I measured the original 5 gallon mark on both primary & secondary by pouring a gallon at a time and marking the level, so I know its close to being accurate.

It's a NB american amber kit (extract) . I followed the instructions and topped off the primary with cool water until it reached 5.25 gallons. So really, I lost 1.25 gallons:(

The sample tasted fantastic so I am not really worried about it. It just made me curious.

Latest posts

Back