help with a pilsner recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsoda

Reaction score
Im going to make my first lager , a pilsner , and im not to good with beersmith
so here is a list if what im going to try to do ... please someone stop me if im doing somthing wrong or if i could do somthing better.

batch size 5 gal
boil size 6 gal
yeast - wyeast pils 2278

wyerman pilsner malt 8#
wyerman cara hell 1 #
crystal 20 - 1/2#

1 oz - saaz 60 min
1/2 oz saaz 30 min
1/2 oz saaz 15 min

mash 3 gal at 152F for 60 min
mash out at 172F for 5 min then sparge 172F keeping 1-2 inches of water above grain for around 20-30 min untill i have collected 6 gal.

Thats the proccess i have been using for ales. (please stop me if thats wrong)

since this is my first lager is ther anything i should do differently ? i only have made ales thus far.

thats it? ... what do you think ... i want to make somthing pilsner urkel "like"
but not as hoppy. or better than pilsner urkel would be fine.

Im going to make my first lager , a pilsner , and im not to good with beersmith
so here is a list if what im going to try to do ... please someone stop me if im doing somthing wrong or if i could do somthing better.

batch size 5 gal
boil size 6 gal
yeast - wyeast pils 2278

wyerman pilsner malt 8#
wyerman cara hell 1 #
crystal 20 - 1/2#

1 oz - saaz 60 min
1/2 oz saaz 30 min
1/2 oz saaz 15 min

mash 3 gal at 152F for 60 min
mash out at 172F for 5 min then sparge 172F keeping 1-2 inches of water above grain for around 20-30 min untill i have collected 6 gal.

Thats the proccess i have been using for ales. (please stop me if thats wrong)

since this is my first lager is ther anything i should do differently ? i only have made ales thus far.

thats it? ... what do you think ... i want to make somthing pilsner urkel "like"
but not as hoppy. or better than pilsner urkel would be fine.

Cut the crystal malt back to 5%. You have 15% there which is way too much. With what you have I would go with 9# of pils malt and .5# of CaraHell. I think more hop bitterness and presence might be in order. Urquell is (or used to be) in the low 40s IBU. Putting the IBUs in the low 30s will get you a brew less hoppy than PU but still a recognizable pilsner. What are the AA% on your hops? For a typical Saaz # of 3AA% or so I would add another ounce for the 60 minute addition to get the IBUs into the mid 30s and perhaps move the 15 minute addition out to 5 minutes or less to obtain a little more aroma. Make a large yeast starter, give the fermentation the right temperature control, lager long and cold and your patience will yield a really nice brew. :mug:

thanks , how cold? is 55F good?
i only have 8# of the pilsner malt

this is all i have to work with .... inless i wait to brew :(

20lb US malt - bulk malt (pale i think)
2 # cara red
1 # cara hell
2 oz saaz aa is 4.5% i think...
1 0z willamette hops
1 Oz Halbertu
about an ounce or so of whole leaf goldings ... kinda dry

how about this
8# pilsner
1# US 2 row
.5# cara hell
1 oz willamette
2 oz cascade
goldings last 5 min.

thanks , how cold? is 55F good?
i only have 8# of the pilsner malt

this is all i have to work with .... inless i wait to brew :(

20lb US malt - bulk malt (pale i think)
2 # cara red
1 # cara hell
2 oz saaz aa is 4.5% i think...
1 0z willamette hops
1 Oz Halbertu
about an ounce or so of whole leaf goldings ... kinda dry

how about this
8# pilsner
1# US 2 row
.5# cara hell
1 oz willamette
2 oz cascade
goldings last 5 min.

Willamette and CASCADE in a BoPils? You're killing me. Take that ounce of Hallertau and add half an ounce each to your original Saaz additions of 60 and 30 minutes. Leave the 1/2 oz of Saaz as your late addition. Replacing the light crystal with a pound of US 2-row is fine. 55F sounds good for fermentation, you can check the Wyeast website for specific temp recommendations.

Back