Price per pound of salvage copper?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aust1227

Reaction score
What are you scrap yard chargin for "scrap" copper? Mine here is charging $3.95. They have 50' MINT coils all the time. I just picked up some 1" pipe for my RIMS and various elbows and reducers.. Beats the hell out of HD or Lowes!

All I know is that its expensive enough that people are backing there trucks into telephone poles to knock the poles down, then cutting live power lines to try salvage the copper out of them. Also had a big truck about 50miles south of here that cut a transmition line for the railroad then ran the truck and dragged down over 300 yards of copper.

Arneba28 said:
All I know is that its expensive enough that people are backing there trucks into telephone poles to knock the poles down, then cutting live power lines to try salvage the copper out of them. Also had a big truck about 50miles south of here that cut a transmition line for the railroad then ran the truck and dragged down over 300 yards of copper.

I work in construction so I am used to having my jobs ripped off of copper wires and AC work. I am just looking to see what others are paying at the scrap yard. It is a great place to pick up tubing elbow, couplings, ext.

Arneba28 said:

The funny thing is that transmission lines are usually aluminum. I had some pictures of a guy trying to steal "copper" from a live feed. He made contact with the line near his groin and it exited his elbow blowing his arm off. It turned out it was aluminum conductors on (I believe) a 26,4 feed.

Back