Belgian (corked) bottles recorked with wine corks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hovik

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have consumed a number of Unibroue ales this winter (La Fin Du Monde and the Trader Joe's labeled 2012 Vintage Ale). I saved the bottles which are corked in the Belgian style hoping I would think of some use for them. I have an apple wine and Pumpkin Pie Spiced Mead which I need to bottle and was wondering if I could use my wine corker and some #8 wine corks in these bottles? Anyone have experience with this? Thanks in advance. H
Unibroue_-_La_fin_du_monde.jpg

The wine corker may work, but the corks are definitely different. I don't recall the particular size but they're not wine corks. Do you have a hand corker for your wine or a floor corker?

I too have a similar problem.

hevg7.jpg

Some reading suggests that the plastic champagne stoppers may work. Please let me know if you try.

Supposedly they do. I like Belgian beers a lot so I just bought a corker. You can find the Colonna capper/corker on e-bay for around $60 sometimes. You have to do a couple of little tricks to use it for the Belgian style cork but it works and I've been very happy with it. I end up bottling like 5-6 of many batches in Belgian bottles with corks and hoods regardless of it's a Belgian style or not, just to be fancy :pipe:

I've heard that the plastic champagne stoppers work as well but that they can be a little tricky.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/corking-your-belgian-bottles-portuguese-corker-137529/

I use this corker and this tech to bottle my belgians now.

I used those plastic champagne corks in my belgian bottles for some apple cider I did about 4 years ago. (Lindemans bottles) I am still opening bottles that are tasting amazing. I haven't experienced any oxidation so far. I just finished off a bottle 2 weeks ago. You need to line them up and push them in with even pressure or they won't go in without a Fight. They are very snug but that is a good thing. Wine and mead should be no problem without carbonation.

Back