Help - aging cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benkrupt

Reaction score
Finished my pear cider and bottled with champagne yeast. Going to store for 6 months... But has anyone kept it for longer. I'm curious .... Can you keep in cupboard for say 6-12 months?
Cheers

Your process should look something like this: Agonize over how long it will take to age, put it somewhere you can't see it, forget about it, clean house sometime next year, find it, dust carboy, bottle, let it sit, open, be really happy!

I'm working on this process right now with a Barleywine, a sour beer, and three batches of wine.

Great thanks for that.. I'm going to put 4 of each batch aside and try one every 6 months. Keen to know what a cider would be like in 2-3 years!

good idea to try one every few months. every one will have a different 'tastiness arc'; they will get better for a while, stay the same for a while, and eventually start to get worse. the timing of each batch generally has to be determined empirically, unless you are 100% sure everything is the same batch to batch, including storage.
but once they aren't getting any better, i say drink up. 1 year seems to be about optimal for mine; i would try them in 2-3 years but mine don't generally last much longer than the next year's apple season

Back