Lower Hydrometer Reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brewed my first batch of IPA and everything went well except that my hydrometer reading was lower than expected. The OG should be at 1.061 and i got 1.040. I took the reading before i pitched my yeast. How will this effect my beer and should i worry about it.:cross::drunk:

Extract, PM, All Grain?

If the reading is correct it will be lower alcohol and hiugher bitterness.

Chance are you got your sample from a stratified layer after adding top off water and the dilution is the result. Kind of like black and tan. The heavy stuff is at the bottom, the light stuff floats on the top. somewhere in the middle it's homogenous.

Next time, stir vigorously, sample, then pitch yeast.

If it was AG, then your sparge may have been off.

Its extract. Yeah i did take the reading after i added water and you described the color perfectley. Next time i will stir it more then take the reading. Thanks

Assuming you use the correct amount of top-off water, it is extremely hard to miss the OG on an extract batch by more than a point or two. Sounds like you have your answer!

Back