Thoughts on fermenting 2.5 gal in a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burgs

Reaction score
First off, this isn't really a question as to whether or not I should ferment my 2.5 gallon batches in a 5 gallon keg - I already know I want to do that.

I won't need foam control or anything like that, I'll have plenty of space. Racking should be easy and I can do it all under CO2, which I like.

My question is how to deal with the trub that will build up as a result of primary fermentation happening in the keg. Would you recommend:

1. Bending the dip tube up off the bottom?

2. Leave the dip tube as is, pull the sediment from the bottom with a picnic tap (will this clog horribly?)

Ideally I don't want to remove poppets or anything like that from my posts. I'm going to use a modified cornelius keg lid with an airlock in it and I'm just going to swap that out with a standard lid when I'm ready to move beer around. If I can get away with it, I'd like that to be the only thing I'm swapping around when I'm ready to rack.

I'm thinking that bending or cutting the dip tube may be my best bet - as I'm going to be dealing with significantly more trub than someone that's just secondarying or naturally carbing in a keg would be, but I am open to any and all opinions.

Thanks! :mug:

I have never fermented in a keg so take this for what it is. I think the cutting or bending would be your best bet, but I think you already know that. The only hard part is going to be determining where to cut or bend. If you cut it to short then you have to tilt the keg a little to get all the goodnees out if it, No biggie as I already tilt my carboy. If its to long then you might get a little trub in there but that doesnt bother me either. Good luck and let us know what you decided to do.

I quit fermenting in buckets and now ferment in 5G kegs exclusively, I just bend my dip tubes, doesn't seem worth the hassle to deal with a picnic tap...

I left my dip tube at the length it came. When I push from the fermentation keg to the serving keg the first second is yeast, then a hole develops in the trub and only clear beer transfers. Also, I can usually ferment four gallons in it without blowing off.

Back