insane amount of break.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tchuklobrau

Reaction score
My 1st ag brew day was a huge sucess thanks to all here who chimed in and gave advise over the last few weeks. The only thing i was not prepared for was the insane amount of break/ trub left in the bottom after chilling. I have nevergotten even half that with extract. Is that common with ag vs. extract? Had to revamp my system on the fly as my false bottom on my boil kettle jamed cause of it. Never jammed with extract.

It happens, different base malts tend to produce different amounts of hot/cold break material. I don't worry about it at all. I tend to do a little bit larger batches so I can toss the last 1/2 gallon out of the kettle, but that's about it.

Thats what i had planned on for the next one as well, as this will end up being my haus brew.

It's kind of funny to watch happen, really. IIRC, Vienna tends to make a huge toasted marshmallow looking hot break head and Pils tends to give a lot of egg drop soup looking stuff for me. (shrug)

My 1st ag brew day was a huge sucess thanks to all here who chimed in and gave advise over the last few weeks. The only thing i was not prepared for was the insane amount of break/ trub left in the bottom after chilling. I have nevergotten even half that with extract. Is that common with ag vs. extract? Had to revamp my system on the fly as my false bottom on my boil kettle jamed cause of it. Never jammed with extract.

You didn't get that quantity with extract because the factory that made the wort to produce the extract did. ;)

This was a batch of a Rye Pale Ale after three weeks in the carboy:

yeastcake.jpg

L

Back