Wild Yeast collection and brewing with it.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bckpck2rev

Reaction score
So I am a novice at brewing, only like a half dozen batches under my belt (all turned out great except one, which was dumped) and since the weather is finally turning cooler (hopefully at least, like three 90 + days in a row up till today) I have been gearing up to brew again. I live without AC, so I limited to only cooler months to brew, anyway I digress, I was thinking about yeast and beer one day when I thought why can't I just use what nature gives me in form of wild yeast. I have several bushels of apples which are teeming with yeast, some are almost all white with yeast spores, and I was thinking why not just draw the yeast from the apples. would this yeast work for brewing? if so would it impact the finished product or impart unwanted flavors into the brew?

if so would it impact the finished product or impart unwanted flavors into the brew?

The short answer is yes, yeast has a huge impact on the flavor of beer.

There is a whole section here on HBT on lambics and using wild yeasts https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/ I've never done it, so can't offer any personal experience. I have drunk some Belgians though that use these methods and it is an acquired taste.

Try it with a small 1 gallon batch. Most people find their attempts at brewing with wild yeast does not turn out palatable. Most wild yeasts are known for contributing barnyard, livestock, musty, or other wild flavors. Some people catch very clean yeasts, but you are definitely more likely to catch something that will give you wild flavors.

If you find this is the case, you could always brew something with half brewing yeast have wild yeast to get some wild flavor but not too much. As Pappers suggested, you may find more useful information in the Lambic and Wild Beer section.

Back