First All Grain - Too much wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxbing

Reaction score
I did my first AG Batch yesterday. Finally got to uses all the new equipment that I have been building over the past month or so. Everything worked better than expected.

:mug:

I did have one hiccup. I started my boil with just over 7 Gallons and 60 min later still had 6 gallons left in my Keggle. Fortunately My efficiency has higher than expected so my OG is not that much lower than expected.

My Question is what is better when you end up in this situation, boil longer and change hop schedule or end boil on time and have lower OG?

Thanks

I would say that boiling off less than 1 gallon per hour suggests too weak of a boil. Did you run your burner full on or was it dialed back? Crank it a bit more next time. If you can't get a more vigorous boil, collect 6.5 gallons next time so you end up with 5.5. You can also plan for a 75 minute boil by waiting 15 minutes to start your hopping schedule.

thanks, I did turn down the burner but it was a nice rolling boil.

Maybe I will try some experiments with just water...

You need to figure out the exact level that you need to start at so that you hit your target batch size at exactly 60 minutes.

I always do boils that are longer than 60 mins. Usually 90 minutes. I know with my equipment that as I soon as I hit 7.2 gallons in my kettle that I am 60 minutes from my 5.5 gallon goal. This way I can put my first hop addition in at 7.2 gallons in the kettle and just countdown to zero from there.

Back