First attempt!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sollytear

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

My names Joseph and Ive just begun my voyage into the world of home brew beer. Ive started with extract kits (atleast, thats what I think it is) and its been great fun. Im using the Woodfordes microbrewery with some lovely Woodfordes Nelson's Revenge.

Im here to ask a question really. I have followed the instructions to the word, bar using bottled water instead of tap, which im sure most of you will agree with. My problem has come after I have put my beer in the barrel with the priming sugar. Its been 12 days since I primed it. I poured out a little glass earlier and it is very weak tasting. It smells lovely, and instantly you get a strong fruit flavour, but it then disappears and leaves a very watery tasting beer. Is there anything I can do to beef up the flavour, or perhaps I did something wrong on the way.
Any advice please :)

Regards,
Joe!

Are you saying that you have bottled it? I think the best way to get advice is to post the recipe that you used with all ingredients, volumes, water volume, hops, etc. As far as "beefing up the flavor", once it's bottled there is not much you can do except things like adding some fruit flavoring extract to each glass you pour or some people have tried adding a pinch or two of salt to each glass poured to help increase mouthfeel. I'm not really sure what you are searching for however.

It doesn't sound like your beer is fully carbonated. The most noticeable thing about uncarbonated beer is that it tastes watery. Give it a another week or two and it should be better. I'm not familiar with using the pressure barrels but I expect it takes as long or longer to carbonate those as it does in bottles.

Welcome to HBT!

Hey :)

Its not "bottled" but rather put into a 40 pint or so barrel.
U may be right there Nurmey. The pressure in the barrel may be quiet high, as when I turn the tap it comes gushing out with alot of pressure.

My recipe was:
2 cans of the malt into a disinfected brewing barrel
Add 4 litres of boiling water (bottled, boiled in disinfected pans)
Add 22 litres of water
Packet of yeast
Left it for 5 days in the barrel, covered in a tight lid, and 1 of those plastic contraptions that allow gas to leave but bateria not enter.
Then I siphoned the liquid (bar the bottom sludge) into the barrel.
Added 6g of sugar per 2 pints, i think, 108g or so in total.
Added the top. The barrel is then air-tight. With a value so i can add CO2 to keep the pressure up if nessursary with this capsules.

Ill leave it another couple of weeks and see how it developes! Thanks for the info

Latest posts

Back