brewing with rice.... FG a bit high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottlindner

Reaction score
I brewed with rice for the first time. This past weekend I kegged the brew. I had one pound of rice with an OG=1.056 and FG=1.017 at time of kegging. Technically the brew was still slowly fermenting so the FG may drop over time. I tasted the sample and it tasted a bit sweet. I would have expected this brew to finish out around 1.012 so it could be the rice is my problem. I used WYeast 1056 and it was in primary for a week and secondary for three weeks.

Do I need to take correction actions like adding Beano, or just let it ride for a while since I could see a small amount of bubbles indicating the fermentation is not quite done yet?

Scott

Never used rice so feel free to ignore me...

Sounds like it will drop at least a few more points. How long did you allow it to ferment for? I'd keep an eye on the pressure in the keg (not that it's going to explode or anything)

I thought I mentioned that. Primary for a week, secondary for three.

I am definitely gonna check the keg pressure periodically. I already have it in a beer frig to start conditioning it. I'll probably give it a taste in a couple of weeks to see if it has lost some of the sweetness.

I have never experienced this before, so I'm a bit confused over it. Typically my fermentations are clearly done in a week or so. I used an active years cake with this one so it should have fermented out pretty quickly.

For those that know rice. I didn't do enough homework first. I did not do a cereal mash first, although I did cook the rice first to gelatinize it. I didn't have a stuck mash so I guess the cereal mash wasn't necessary.

Scott

What was your mash temp? Adding rice will not necessarily result in a drier beer, that still depends on mash temp.

Did you take a gravity reading before racking to secondary?

What was your mash temp? Adding rice will not necessarily result in a drier beer, that still depends on mash temp.

Unfortunately I do not recall. My notes tell me I had troubles maintaining mash temps due to very cold weather outside. I remember adding two quarts of boiling water to get the mash temp back up to where it should be. If I remember, this was a long mash due to the temp problems, and if anything it was on the low side dipping down to 145F at times but I brought it back up to the low 150s.

Did you take a gravity reading before racking to secondary?

No, I did not. I'm not the best at taking readings. I generally take OG and FG and that's it.

Scott

Latest posts

Back