$4.87 keg tool

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so it really is the liquid flux that is the key to getting this to work. I found it at a local welding place, not airgas which was father away. I got two fittings in place and soldered in just fine.

the third is presenting a problem, the other coupling I have has thicker walls than the other two I used, and the force of trying to pull it through the dimple cracked both my sections of pvc.

I tried creating a pull block out of red oak - that didn't work well.... so I just hit Home Depot and picked up a galvanized steel version of the PVC fitting and a thicker plumbing part. I will tape the bottoms to avoid scraping - they were cheap too - a few dollars. I will report back.

Yesterday I had to use on kettle for mash, boil, etc. it was a long day for 15 gallons. I need my keggles back!

llJwJfJ.jpg

...the other coupling I have has thicker walls than the other two I used, and the force of trying to pull it through the dimple cracked both my sections of pvc.

Funny you should mention this. I just installed one like this today. I ordered this coupling from Amazon and the outside diameter is 1 1/4" instead of 1 1/6" like the other one I have on the keggle. I've followed the OP's list of parts for dimpling in the past, but this time I ended up drilling a 1" hole, using a 1/2" x 1" copper adapter/coupling from Home Depot to start the dimple, and using a scrap piece of 2" PVC instead of the 1" PVC coupling he used. Just listing that out for the benefit of others who end up with a larger than typical coupling.

Also worth noting, the copper adapter/couplings Lowe's carries didn't work for me for starting dimples for either of the stainless coupling sizes I've mentioned above. Somehow, the 1/2" x 3/4" adapter is too small to create a dimple in a 7/8" hole. And the 1/2" x 1" adapter has the same exact outside diameter as the thicker-walled 1 1/4" O.D. stainless coupling, making it seem like the coupling wouldn't sit as tightly in the dimple because it's not expanding the hole any larger that the copper did in order to create a tight fit. Hope that makes sense.

Used this kit i found at H D for under $6 worked great on my bayou classic
Great advise guys thanks for the great info!!!
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416370259.310539.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

...the other coupling I have has thicker walls than the other two I used...

@runningweird, did you use propane or MAPP gas when you soldered your thicker-walled coupling? I used propane yesterday and the solder didn't really drop into the dimple the way it has in the past with thinner-walled couplings. I'm wondering if the propane didn't get the coupling hot enough because the coupling is so thick. I also used Stay-Clean paste flux instead of liquid flux this time, but I've read a lot of posts saying that that's fine.

In my own personal experience, which is about 5 spuds and a couple of half couplings all successfully soldered, propane works just fine. It just takes a little longer. One thing that DIDN'T work for me is O.A. The flame is simply too damn hot.

Latest posts

Back