Two yeast questions in one post...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pktshc

Reaction score
First-

Thoughts on a vial of White Labs Oktoberfest Yeast that has a best if used by date of Feb 08? Can I use it?

I was planning to make a starter, but is that an exercise in futility. If so, is there a dry yeast that may be a good substitute for a Oktoberfest?

Second-

My LHBS has few options when it comes to yeast. I am brewing a wheat and they do not have any hefe, wheat, etc yeast strains. Can I go with a simple Cooper's dry yeast? And, if so, what effect will that strain have on the finished product.

I guess I could put off both brew projects and get the right/fresh yeast, but I am up against a time crunch.

Thanks!

Jeff

Make a starter. Start with 2 cups, and step it up to at least a quart over the course of 3-4 days. It'll probably revive itself unless it's been stored poorly.

WLP820 Oktoberfest/Märzen is a lager yeast, so I hope you can ferment rather cold. Recommended temps are 52-58°F. Saflager 23 might be a decent alternative if you want to stay in style and use dry yeast. If you want to make an Oktoberfest inspired ale, use Nottingham.

Cooper's dry yeast is ok, but I'd avoid it, especially when brewing styles that really lend themselves to specific yeast strains (like hefeweizens). Order your yeast online if the LHBS has such a poor selection.

Thanks, Yuri-

Yeah, I decided to head back to the LHBS and, low and behold, they did have a more current vial of Oktoberfest yeast AND they had some Hefe yeast hiding as well. That will help a great deal.

And to you question about lagering...I have a chest freezer that I have add a digital temp control. It works well.

Happy brewing.

JAH

Well, I'm going to make a Pale Ale tomorrow. I bought a Wyeast 1028 pack that was manufactured in May. Only problem is, that it was manufactured in May of 07.
I realized this last week end, and smacked it then. It took several days to show any sign of life, but did eventually swell. It's now on the stir plate, and doing exactly what it ought to do. The White Labs will probably take a while to start, but once started it should be as good as a fresh one.

-a.

Back