Moving 1st year plants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamsden

Reaction score
I have 250 1st year plants in tempory containers, I will be moving them in mid-September to new hop farm location in Western Colorado. Do you folks have any suggestion on storing them this winter. Should I store the containers in an unheated garage and plant early spring or try and plant them in the ground this fall? If (If I have time with the move??)

I would plant them when it starts to cool down in the fall. Let them go through the winter in the ground, it will probably do them good.

I am not speaking from experience with hops. Other things like being planted in the fall like spring flower bulbs and they do well.

Get 'em in the ground so they'll have a chance to begin rooting before Winter. You'll be way ahead in survival rate and growth come next year. Hop To It!

Awesome, thanks. If it continues to be a dry fall should I give them a little water thru a mild winter?

When you put them in the ground make sure they're watered, after that I'd just let Ma Nature do the rest. Realize, those crowns aren't growing with the water needs of ones growing in April or May when they're supplying water for shoots growing a foot-a-day. Pre-Winter, they're just kinda hanging out getting ready for bed so their water needs aren't too demanding. A good layer of mulch/compost would probably be a good idea after they're in the ground also. Hoppy Growing!

Back