Adding Body w/ Maltodextrin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malweth

Reaction score
Sorry for bringing this up... I found a lot of searches and none really answered my question.

I'm secondarying my first all grain (Apple Pie Ale) with a gallon of cider. The grain mashed at approx 145 for 15 minutes and 155 for 35 minutes. I'm expecting something with more alcohol and much less body and sweetness than I wanted.

Will maltodextrin fix this issue (maybe 1 lb in 6 gal)? It was about 1.014 @ 5 gallons before I added 1 gallon of 1.048 cider (wort OG 1.052, effective OG after cider 1.051). After the cider ferments out fully, I expect the FG to be about 1.011.

What would be a good target FG after maltodextrin? (I don't have my IBU #s from BeerSmith2 off-hand, but it was 1.5 oz Goldings @ 60 & 1 oz Goldings @ 15).

Half a pound might be a better place to start, but wtf? It's your first all-grain. How else will you know how much body that mash schedule on that equipment with that grainbill with that yeast produces?

Back