First BIAB Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pat3rol

Reaction score
I got the AHS Anniversary Porter and tried it for my first 5 gallon non extract, non Mr Beer batch.

3805-mashing.jpg
[/IMG]

mashing in went well, no problems. it took about 20 minutes to get 6 gal of water up to 170

3806-boiling.jpg
[/IMG]

pulled out the bag drained and squeezed got about 5.25 gal out of it. (sorry no pics) took about 1/2 hour to get to boil.

3808-chillin.jpg
[/IMG]

an hour of boiling and then it took about 25 minutes to cool down to 80 deg.

3809-fermenting.jpg
[/IMG]

finally in the fermentor two weeks till bottling day.

now for the problems..
I forgot to tighten the clamps on the IC its a good thing they werent over the brew pot so no water dripped in.
After I emptied the starsan from the fermentor I dumped the brewpot right in, da%mit I was supposed to siphon it in, I was thinking about airating the wort. I hope this dosnt affect the beer

so only two problems for my first time isnt too bad,

mashing in went well, no problems. it took about 20 minutes to get 6 gal of water up to 170 . . . . . . . . . . . finally in the fermentor two weeks till bottling day.

now for the problems..
I forgot to tighten the clamps on the IC its a good thing they werent over the brew pot so no water dripped in.
After I emptied the starsan from the fermentor I dumped the brewpot right in, da%mit I was supposed to siphon it in, I was thinking about airating the wort. I hope this dosnt affect the beer

so only two problems for my first time isnt too bad,

Actually your percieved problems don't appear to me to be much of a problem at all. If this is all grain, the problem would be if you mashed at 170F, this is the temperature most of us use to STOP saccarification. A good mashing temperature would be between 148F and 158F. Did you take a gravity reading?

And as far as pouring straight into the fermenter, that's not a bad thing at all. Right away is the one time you really *do* want to aerate the wort.

the only downside (which really isn't a downside) is that you probably got a bit of the hop trub in with the fermenting wort, but this won't have any negative effects.

And congrats on the AG!

Mazda matt is right I mashed at around 150-155. Temps went down over the hour of mashing I didn't need to wrap the brewpot or add heat to it

Gravity was 1043 before boil and 1052 after. Efficiency was around 60 or so forgot where I calculated that.

welcome to the world of All Grain brewing.. I would let that beer sit in the primary for at least 3 weeks.. 4 would be better. the extra time lets the yeast do some cleanup work. make sure you get some pics and tell us how the beer comes out.

Can't wait to hear how your's turns out. I did the same AHS porter on 4/2, secondary 4/14 and bottled 4/30...cracking the first bottle open this weekend.

How did your porter turn out? I'm going to be brewing this one soon, and I worried about the amount of bittering hops. 1oz of target 10.7% hops seems like way too much for a porter.

Congrats on the first brew with BIAB. I have recently been doing alot of BIAB batches, and love how easy it is.
Dont worry about dumping into the fermenter, I have done that on every batch for the last few years. aerates the wort like no other, only downside is the trub, but if you let it sit in the primary for a few weeks, it doesnt matter anyways.

I also had a problem with my IC last batch. Unfortunantly for me, it did drip in the wort before I noticed it and tightened it. Its fermenting away right now, hope it will be fine.

My beers have been all over the place. A couple have been so sour I had to pour them out. Last night I finally had one that was fantastic a little bitter a little roasty( ?) and perfectly carbed. I can't figure out what went wrong with this batch.

Back