fermentation time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwc9711

Reaction score
So my recipe and instructions call for a week of fermentation for an amber ale. It has been a week, and it looks like fermentation is over, although I don't have a hydrometer to verify. I have decided to leave the beer in the primary, rather than rack it to a secondary, and am wondering when I should bottle.

Since you aren't sure, although I would recommend a hydrometer, let it sit for a few weeks more. You won't hurt anything. In fact you will probably be rewarded with a better beer. Also this will give the yeast a chance to clean up after themselves. The usual analogy you hear is spaghetti in the fridge over night is always better than fresh. Same applies here.

I'd wait at least three weeks.

Agreed, if not more. I know everyone on here recommends checking SG 3 days in a row to verify fermentation is complete, but I think it's a waste of good beer. I've been brewing for 13 years and have never once checked FG any other time then when I transfer into the keg to calculate ABV. Not one beer that didn't finish.

Back