First Wort ever assembled: Is it contaminated?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is it contaminated?

• Definitely Contaminated

• Probably Contaminated

• Could go either way

• Unlikely to be contaminated

• It'll be fine.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Oahu

Reaction score
Argh.....

Things went pretty well for me, no boilovers (I kinda wanted one, sort of a right of passage...) no major errors except: The unsanitized top of my brewpot slid right into the mostly cooled wort. Anyone want to reassure me or tell me I am doomed? Although unsanitized it did appear to be very clean, but still....

Anyways, Everything else seems to have gone well. Forgot to take a reading before I put the yeast in so I guess I'll never know the alcohol. Also, it seemed to take forever (45 minutes or so) to get to a boil. Maybe because I was watching it.

My wife and I were stunned at the smell that filled the house... Like sweet fresh bread.

I can't believe I have to wait five weeks to find out if my batch is blown! Argh!

It's still exciting. And it was quite a show, many a friend and family member watched quizzically as I performed the strange ritual.

My guess is that if you were using your lid durring the boil, the extremely hot steam would have sanitized your lid, so I think you will be fine.

Latest posts

Back