IIPA Critique. Please let me know what you think!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reddskinnfan

Reaction score
Here it is:

Grain Bill:

15 lb US Pale Ale Malt
1.5 lb US Caramel 10L
1 lb UK Torrified Wheat
8 oz US Victory Malt

Hop Schedule:

60 min - .50 oz Warrior (15.8% AA)
30 min - 1.00 oz Simcoe (12.7% AA)
25 min - 1.00 oz Cascade (6.3% AA)
20 min - 1.00 oz Amarillo (8.6% AA)
15 min - 1.00 oz Simcoe (12.7%AA)
10 min - 1.00 oz Cascade (6.3% AA)
05 min - 1.00 oz Centennial (11.5% AA)
00 min - 1.00 oz Chinook (10.5% AA)

Dry Hop:

7 days - 1 oz Cascade
7 days - 1 oz Amarillo

Keg Hop:

'Til the keg is kicked - 1 oz Cascade
'Til the keg is kicked - 1 oz Simcoe

Other:

15 mins left in boil - Whirfloc Tablet
2 days prior to keg - Super-Kleer

Yeast:

WLP001 - California Ale (3qt starter)

Mash/Sparge:

5.5 g/5.5g

The grain bill is modified from my original IIPA, and I may revert to it depending on what you guys say...

Here is the original:

15.5 lb - UK Pale Malt
1.5 lb - UK Torrified Wheat
1.0 lb - US Victory Malt

Let me know what you guys think, and what kind of flavor/character I can get from this beer.

Just wanted to try something different. People keep telling me I need Crystal/Caramel malt in my IIPA... Wanted to see if the difference was everything it was cracked up to be.

Just wanted to try something different. People keep telling me I need Crystal/Caramel malt in my IIPA... Wanted to see if the difference was everything it was cracked up to be.

I'm not a fan of crystal malt in my IPAs, but one pound in my IIPA is nice. I wouldn't use more than 6-7%. I'm more into simple grain bills with IIPAs- too malty makes it more like a barleywine in my opinion. I'd go simpler, but if you like the wheat and victory, then by all means keep them in.

It's unusual to have chinook as the flame out addition, with simcoe and amarillo added earlier in the boil. Is that in your other recipe too? I'd probably use the amarillo at flame out, the chinook at 30 (if needed for the IBUs), and the simcoe at 15 or so. I like chinook, but many people find it harsh.

Back