Dark Arrogant? Switch Special B to Darker Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DolemiteGK

Reaction score
My friend and I brewed the Can You Brew It clone recipe for Arrogant Bastard last month (modified in Beersmith 2 to an extract recipe and a 10 gallon batch with a 6 gallon boil) and everything is going as it should. THe color is absolutely there and we are going to taste it in a week to see if the flavor qualities are there also.

Since its been fermenting/condtioning, we have been discussing collaborating on a Black IPA/CDA/Etc, and I wanted to some opinions on whether it would work if we took the Arrogant extract recipe, switched the Special B for a Dark grain malt like Chocolate, Roasted Barley, Carafa, or Black Patent... Thoughts?

Our grain and hop bill was as follows:

2.5lbs Special B (147 SRM)
6 lbs DME Golden Light (Briess) (4.0 SRM) Dry Extract
2 lbs Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar
8 lbs LME Pilsen Light (Briess) [Boil for25 mi Extract

1.75 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 85.0 min Hop
1.75 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop
1.75 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop
1.75 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop

OG- 1.066
SRM 21
IBU 86

I don't think you could effectively replace the special B without changing the flavor/profile significantly, but you could add a small quantity of black patent, or another dark roast to up the SRM and still have something Arrogant-esque.

If you just replace with roasted barley and or chocolate you'll pretty much just have a hoppy stout.

I would just add enough carafa or midnight wheat on top of the normal grain bill to put the color where you want it.

Has anyone tried to brew the CYBI recipe for Arrogant? I'll have to update after I bottle and condition if not

Has anyone tried to brew the CYBI recipe for Arrogant? I'll have to update after I bottle and condition if not

There is a big long thread on it....you know what to do....

The question is why version of the CYBI recipe they are using...I think they are on their 3rd attempt??

For my house CDA, I used carafa III. I just wanted to have the color and not impact the flavor much or at all. The rest of the recipe isn't that different than an IPA I make - just the addition of the carafa. My hop profile is different as well - columbus, magnum, simcoe, amarillo, and cascade. Made for a delicious beer!

Latest posts

Back