Saison question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1jumpchump

Reaction score
I am looking to brew a saison as my third batch and have noticed some talk about higher fermenting temperatures in order to replicate the way it was brewed in non-temp controlled environments. I've looked in my books and through the forums, but haven't found anything specifically addressing this. If anyone has any advice or can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Saison strains need to ferment at temperatures above 80*F to create the correct flavors through the yeast.

If you look up threads dealing with saison strains (wyeast 3724 and 2726).

Also on Wyeas't site you will see that this strain's temp range is 70-95F. It is also notorious for sticking at 1.035. Simply rousing the yeast and warming up the temperature will get it going again.

Got home from work and the saison kit arrived today. The Wyeast I received is a Propogator 3942. I look it up on their site and it turns out this is a Belgian Wheat strain that ferments between 64 and 74 dgerees. So, crisis averted I guess.

this begs the question though...am I brewing a real saison if the yeast is for a Belgian Wheat? The kit came from Midwest (Lawnmower de Saison) and they've been doing this I'd say about 1000 times longer than I have, so who am I to question? I guess it's just my curousity more than anything. I'll brew it as directed for the most part and see what happens.

In the mean time I have their Hop Head Double IPA with 2 oz of Cascades dry hopping away so one thing at a time I guess.

Flyangler and Edcculus; Thanks for the quick replies earlier. I think I have my answers now.

Go ahead and use what they sent in the kit. It looks like its a light saison style beer. The wheat yeast will contribute similar flavors as the saison strain without the higher temp concerns. Its not going to be an exact saison, but it should be tasty.

Latest posts

Back