Shake a Carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinb

Reaction score
Is there any risk if a Carboy is shaken up during active fermentation? My 5 gallon batch got shaken up (its a long story) a day after fermentation started. The Airlock is currently bubbling fast (1 bubble per second).

You run the risk of some oxidization depending on how much it was shaken but I can imagine you'll be fine

kevinb said:
Is there any risk if a Carboy is shaken up during active fermentation? My 5 gallon batch got shaken up (its a long story) a day after fermentation started. The Airlock is currently bubbling fast (1 bubble per second).

I think it will be fine. Most o2 was pushed out by co2, so no oxidation worries. You just help redistribute the yeast.

Similar to shaking, when I rack to secondary I get action in airlock...as for oxidation, that's a risk. But you should be fine

Oxidation shouldn't be a worry if the yeast are active. They'll use it before it does damage to the beer. At least, this is my understanding from listening to Brew Strong...

Latest posts

Back