JJ Grey and Mofro

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmulligan

Reaction score
I am digging on this guy's music lately (HWMO introduced me to it), so here is my most recent favorite song with just a really lame 5-picture montage so I could post it. It's kind of like rock that is vague kissing cousins with funk and country. This is "On Fire" from the Orange Blossoms album.

Oh, happy 500th post. :D

[youtube]eVeSwl_4LUQ[/youtube]

Been seeing then since they were just Mofro. The band has changed a couple times, his buddy who sits and plays slide is the heart of the band. I still like them (going to see them saturday, Hill Country Revue is opening up, which I am super excited about). I like your description, I usually use the usual 'Front porch soul' to describe their music.

My main gripe, is that they all used to be normal dudes, sitting around, playing music in trucker hats and grungy clothes they probably wore to work at the lumber yard they also worked in while not playing music. Now JJ Grey has nice cowboy boots on, designed jeans, and trendy shirts with a pooka shell necklace, he looks like an SEC fratboy...and now he is the front-man, the rest of the band is merely backup....he still has soul though and almost cries during some songs.

Hill Country Revue is opening up for the Mofro show I'm seeing in October, I need to check them out online to see what they sound like. Luckily (or unluckily), I haven't know about Mofro long enough to be disappointed by their changing image.

I like the "front porch soul" phrase. Calling it rock mixed with anything seemed a little off to me, but I couldn't think of anything better.

Hope your show is great, I can't wait until mine! :ban:

Sounds like Early P-Funk

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMPA_75-Ypw]YouTube - Funkadelic - Red Hot Mama (early 70's raw demo)[/ame]

Back