Dialing up the temp during fermentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benko

Reaction score
Searched but couldn't really find anything. I'll be brewing a big Belgian Strong Ale, and have heard about starting fermentation out at lower temps (low sixties) until most of the alcohol is produced, keeping down on the hot, solventy flavors, and then slowly dialing up the temps (maybe mid seventies) to finish off the fermentation and maximize attenuation. Anybody have any experience with this. I'm looking for some general guidance, or maybe even a rough schedule with times/temps.

I've done this. I keep it cool and then slowly ramp up. Typically the ambient temps are good to start with and then finding a warmer part of the house. I even have a heating pad I'll use if I really want to crank it. I've done a couple of saisons at nearly 90 and they've come out well.

As for a timetable, that's less certain. I like some of the esters produced from belgian yeasts, so I start ramping up after a couple of days. Once I see activity I begin the climb. And to really get some of these yeasts to attenuate, you'll need to take time and keep it warm. They'll get there, but they can be stubborn.

I also start out a little bit lower at the start and during the heavy fermentation period. Fermentation will add anywhere between 5-10 degrees to your temperature. As fermentation slows and the temps drop I will start to bring the temps up a little to compensate. I don't always go as high as the mid 70's though.

I currently got a Saison fermenting that I started at 68 and after 2 days have begun to let it climb. Right now on day 3-4 it is about 75. I will throw it into the garage tomorrow where I hope to see some 80's. Probably leave it there until I bottle. I was surprised at how strong the fermentation has been going. Started within 5 hours, was really strong at 12 and is still going pretty strong. I'm hoping to get down to 1.010 or less and make it really dry. I'm basically following what Jamil says about Saison's.

You should be able to push the yeast to really dry out, especially iff you used any sugar in it. I like my saisons to be around 1.007. I would like one right now, damnit.

Back