Brewing Today (and tommorow). Anyone else?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ó Flannagáin

Reaction score
Brewing a dunkel weizen today, completely new recipe from my last... which was actually more of a weizenbock, I suspect this is too given the OG. I took some washed hefe yeast last night and made a starter, woke up this morning to a blown off airlock cap and a bit of krausen creeping over the edge of the top of the airlock. It was still fermenting well though so I don't think it got infected. That hefe yeast is CRAZY. This one is going to need a blow off tube for sure.

Also brewing a belgian tommorow, got that starter going last night. Haven't locked ina recipe for it yet, though.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Laubmeister Hefeweizen Dunkel
Brewer: Christopher John Flannagan
Asst Brewer:
Style: Weizen/Weissbier
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 15.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 10.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.65 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 65.95 %
3.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 25.86 %
0.70 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 6.03 %
0.25 lb Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 2.16 %
0.75 oz Hallertauer [3.20 %] (60 min) Hops 7.6 IBU
0.25 oz Hallertauer [3.20 %] (30 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
0.25 oz Hallertauer [3.20 %] (15 min) Hops 1.3 IBU
1 Pkgs Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068) [Yeast-Wheat

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 11.60 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 14.50 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F

Notes:
------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taking the weekend off from brewing, but some friends are having a beer/wine tasting party tonight. I'll have about 8 types of my homebrew there, maybe drum up some interest in my shirts and hats:ban:

I was going to do an ESB this weekend, but it's too hot in my house right now. It's still suppose to be in the 80s next week and I don't feel like swapping ice bottles all week to keep my temp down. I'll just do it next weekend :)

Just did my first AG last night. Finished up at about 9:30.
Cleaned up this morrning. If the weather would clear up I could jump and it would be a perfect weekend.

I did Ed Wort's Apfelwein recipe last night. I did an all extract Bohenian Pilsner today...

I have my first Kolsch that's been in the bottle for awhile and gonna try tonight...

mrkristofo said:
Cheers! Though, I haven't decided on what yet.

Dankelweissen and Yooper's Fat Tire Clone. :ban:

EDIT: Just finishing sparging the minimash for the Dunkel, and I'm already drunk. Bastids at the LHBS giving me "samples" before I returned. Blast! Well, full steam ahead!

Just about to start a Hefeweizen and some panty dropping cider. ... the water just walked in the door :D

Brewing a gumball head clone tomorrow. Finally got stuff kegged on Friday, so I have three carboys to fill. ;) Going to be my 4th AG, should be good times.

Brewed a Light Ale today and have a starter going for a HW tomorrow...;)

EDIT: For today's HW I already have the grains crushed, water and hops measured, updated sig with today's brew and wife's gone off to church...

Getting ready to brew the Hop Goblin. Waiting for a guy from the club to get here. He's an extract brewer who wants to check out an AG session.

All ready to start heating my strike water here, doing a belgian specialty today. Hopefully Yuri's gonna stop by and give me some pointers. Grains are crushed, and I just finished cooking up my candi sugar. Should be a good day, kind of hard to have a worse brew than yesterday.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Nice
Brewer: Christopher John Flannagan
Asst Brewer:
Style: Belgian Specialty Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.41 gal
Estimated OG: 1.069 SG
Estimated Color: 7.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 38.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 66.67 %
1.50 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 12.50 %
0.75 lb Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 6.25 %
0.25 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 2.08 %
1.25 oz Marynka [6.50 %] (60 min) Hops 25.7 IBU
0.50 oz Strisslespalt [4.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Marynka [6.50 %] (30 min) Hops 7.9 IBU
0.50 oz Marynka [6.50 %] (10 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
1.00 oz Strisslespalt [2.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
1.50 lb Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 12.50 %
1 Pkgs Trappist Ale (White Labs #WLP500) [StarterYeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 10.50 lb
----------------------------
ERROR - All Grain/Partial Mash recipe contains no mash steps

Notes:
------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We just finished O'Flannigan's second brew of the weekend. What a GREAT time! I'm glad I was in Wichita Falls this weekend to meet up with yet another awesome HBT member.

Sorry, Chris...I'll take a little of the responsibility for forgetting the candy sugar. Your plan to boil it separately and add it later sounds just fine! Oops!!!!

Thanks again for an great afternoon - that hefe was tasty!

Sounds like a blast!

I had a pleasant surprise today. colinwollman was in the area for a wedding. He couldn't stay long, but he arrived just as my strike water was ready. Unfortunately he could only stay for a quick sample of my amber ale but it was nice to compare notes and meet face to face. I've been brewing in a vacuum, with the exception of HBT, so Colin is the first AG brewer I've met.

Forgot to preheat my mashtun so my temps were off, but the final boil is underway now. I should be pitching in about an hour.

Yuri_Rage said:
We just finished O'Flannigan's second brew of the weekend. What a GREAT time! I'm glad I was in Wichita Falls this weekend to meet up with yet another awesome HBT member.

Sorry, Chris...I'll take a little of the responsibility for forgetting the candy sugar. Your plan to boil it separately and add it later sounds just fine! Oops!!!!

Thanks again for an great afternoon - that hefe was tasty!

WAs a blast having you over man, I'm boiling up the sugar now. I'll post some pics when I get drunk :D :mug:

Brewed an Old Speckled Hen today...Hit my gravity and temps on the nose. Finished in four hours from heating the water to cleanup. This will be an awesome brew. Best AG session yet!:ban:

Finished the gumball head on a nice relaxed brew day. Had some friends come to visit, so I was in and out a lot. Overall, I hit 80% efficiency and everything went smooth as silk. 4th all grain under my belt and each one has been awesome. Horah for AG brewing. ;) :mug:

So when company showed up I forgot to pre-heat my mash tun. Had a ***** of a time hitting my temps, but in the end it all was good. Oh, I forgot the irish moss too. Not drunkeness, just carelessness.

Fingers said:
So when company showed up I forgot to pre-heat my mash tun. Had a ***** of a time hitting my temps, but in the end it all was good. Oh, I forgot the irish moss too. Not drunkeness, just carelessness.

I forgot irish moss as well, totally forgot. I usually remember to set it out so I see it the whole time I brew. Not this time.

It was out, right next to the hops. The problem is that I was brewing a Guinness clone and it needs only the 60 minute hops. With a beer that dark, it really doesn't make any difference whether I added the hops or not. It's a 28.7 SRM.

Latest posts

Back