Fermentation in 72 hours!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMWMK2

Reaction score
did my first all grain on wed, everything went good accept the smack pack in the yeast packet didnt break. checked the first day no fermentation :confused::confused:, i stirred and waited, second day no fermentation:confused:, getting nervous, read a few threads on it, came home from work today and BOOM air lock is bubbling away:ban:, so for everybody out there that is nervous , read the treads here and BE PATIENT! IF YOU BUILD IT THEY WILL COME!!

Dude, you need to look into making a Yeast Starter. You get a 2L flask and put in 1 cup of DME + 3 cups of water for a 1.040 starter. You can get a stir plate or just shake it up over the next 12-24 hours. There are different ideas from here, some refrigerate and the yeast will settle, decant the liquid and pitch the now plentiful yeast. The other idea is to pitch the whole starter at the height of its krausen. I go with the latter and pitch that thing when it is going off big. I get fermentation w/in 3 hours most times. With AG you want to get things going as fast as possible but not to worry your brew will be fine... just in the future think about a starter with AG. Oh, just like you never wake a sleeping baby, I believe you never open a sealed primary - no stirring necessary! :)

Back