Tasting my stout from the secondary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcmccoy

Reaction score
I made this brew

Mash at 160 (because I over shot my mash temp)

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU

0.50 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 2.94 %
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4.41 %
0.75 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4.41 %
1.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
1.00 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 58.82 %

0.75 oz Summit [17.00 %] (60 min) Hops 37.6 IBU
0.25 oz Summit [17.00 %] (10 min) Hops 4.5 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [3.20 %] (5 min) Hops 1.9 IBU

1 Pkgs Burton Ale (White Labs #WLP023) [Starter 300 ml] Yeast-Ale

It ended up at 1.070 Pitched my starter (dumped the beer from starter) at 63 and the next day it was at 68 fermenting like crazy ended up blowing out the carboy top and mad a huge mess I kept it at 69 for 48hrs then it just suddenly stopped at went back to room temp which is 66... a small layer of foam stayed on top for a week and I took a hydro sample it was at 1.021... 3 weeks later it took a sample and its now at 1.019.

I didnt like how it tasted in the primary I thought it could be yeasty and I really didnt like how it smelled... kinda like rotten eggs and farts. So I racked it to secondary and let it sit 2 weeks, I pulled a sample today to tasted it. Now it is just not good tasting not really roasty not nutty kinda just muddy and bland... the smell is faint roast but not really good smelling. I don't know what to do with this I just dont like how it tastes and smells in the secondary. its got like a funk to it, I can't put my finger on it... I kinda want 2 dump it, but I know I should bottle and see what happens...

Any ideas?

you can dump or bottle. me, i'd bottle. and put it away for a month or two...who knows, you may love it.

I think the only way 2 fix this would be to dry hop and back sweeten this beer...

Do not back sweeten it. If the FG is 1.019 then it's plenty sweet.

Let it age. Sometimes roasted and biscuit flavors come out the longer it sits. Think of it like a marinade or chili. The more it sits, the more various flavors mix together and the better the meal tastes in the end.

I usually find that my porters and stouts hit their peak at a minimum of 2 months after bottling.

It is not sweet tasting thought I find it dry and kinda bitter from the roast malts.

Bottle it and let it age for a few months. At 1.070, it could use some time to come together. I guarantee it will change...hopefully for the better. I've got a chipotle stout that is undrinkable because I put WAY to much chipotle in it. It's been sitting for 6 months now and it's getting better and still changing. I still can't get a whole bottle down though. I'm waiting it out.

It is not sweet tasting thought I find it dry and kinda bitter from the roast malts.

I think that'll mellow out and allow some other flavors to come through. Don't worry about it - you made beer and it will taste good!

Latest posts

Back