stuck at home. damn ford!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosmatt

Reaction score
well, we have about 3" of compacted snow (ice) up my 1/3 mile driveway to the main road. i cannot get up it, because the 4wd in my 2 year old f150 is out....AGAIN!

i have tried, and tried, to the point i am almost out of gas....and we have snow in the forecast....doh!

funniest part, i bought a totalled 94 bronco from work a couple weeks ago, $600 and it needed a door, and some minor bodywork. the 4wd works perfect in it. i fixed it all up, and it is the only way out of my driveway now...but i need to use my truck! i have 4 overfilled trash cans i need to take to the dump, the trash truck cannot navigate our road in more than .5" of snow...11 people coming for the holidays, and we are gonna be trashed in!

anyway, rant over.

i hope it rains real good before the snow starts...

on edit:
my wife thinks it's very funny that a truck we paid $600 for works better than a truck we have monthly payments higher than that. i could buy a bronco every month and it would be cheaper than owning this truck...

Drink some (copious amounts) of home brew, hand the wife the glass that you just tipped back and utter the famous words...... "Watch this ****!" You'll make it!

redneck rig a sled to the bronco, tell your wife "hold my beer an watch this!" then haul that stuff out to wherever. or why not just use the bronco, tow the F150 up the drive to the road, and park the 150, lug the cans one by one, and load em then haul away?

oh yeah, then sell F150 and buy better truck.

bob, actually.... i have a tow chain, and we talked of this before the post.

i guess, off the record, i do not want my neighbors to see me towing a $40.k truck with a $600.00 bronco to the top of the road!!!!!!!!!
now that i have had a few homebrews i can admit this openly... :)

anyway, we are hoping for a break in the weather tomorrow.

as for a better truck, what is there?
it is all crap, really.
i work on everything. the only thing ford did was try to make the gas milage better with this stupid 4x4 system.... and i track milage very close.
i went from an average of 14.4mpg, to 14.2 mpg by bypassing the ghey hub lock system that keeps the front axles locked at all times....
but now the little motor on the outside of the transfer case is what went out.
problem is, it is very intermittant, it might work every day for a week, then nothing for three weeks. then fine for a week and so on.

anyway, i have given up on every manufacturer.
they all use the same chinese **** parts they buy for a tenth of the price than from the original supplier (union U.S. made) that worked in testing prior to vehicle launch.
this includes toyota, and honda btw....
nobody makes a car worth a **** anymore. nobody!
go feel the door trim panel of a honda, a g.m., and a ford and tell me the difference. they are all hard, plastic crap (and they squuek, rattle, and feel like a television)
go feel the trim panel of my 89 mustang, and look up the part @ ford.. they charged a THOUSAND FRICKEN DOLLARS for a door trim panel on this car. new mustang it runs a $100. and it feels like it.
squeek, squeek anyone?

anyway... i work on all makes and models @ work.
no car is wirth a **** anymore. and the american car companies get a bad rap for it. nobody seems to care that toyota makes **** cars now too. they would rather make themselves feel better about buying a toyota than facing reality.

woops, soapbox again.
sorry!

I always knew there was a reason I trusted older vehicles with a million miles more than these newer bubble cars that all look alike. I work on motorcycles for a living, so I can kinda relate in a way.

I also see that the 87 Honda CBR I have despite being an ancient design by current standards is just like your Bronco, you look at it, versus a newer bike, and it just feels more REAL and longterm than the newer bikes. The newer ones sure, they look good from a distance, but up close, my 87 still wins out for me in just overall character.

Its kinda like comparing a good home brew to some really crappy store beer that not even a homeless alcoholic will buy.

this is why i keep my samurai and love the sidekick. they just plain work. though i still wish i still had my 71 scout 800b

I know it's not a truck, but I love my Subaru. It's AWD works great. I can get through snow (fresh and icy) with just normal M+S tyres pretty well (I haven't had to go through really deep snow yet, though).

My soon to be in-laws have a recent model F150 with 4WD and they haven't had any problems with it. We took it up into the mountains recently and it just cruised through the snow (they have studded tyres).

man, when my new truck works, it is great. rides like no other truck i have ever driven before. very car like.
i miss my superduty quite alot, but needing fuel injectors every few months at $600 a pop gets old. nothing like diesel powa tho!

and bob, i agree fully. the yupee's may hate my bronco because it looks dated, but every single thing on it works. the power windows go up, and down in a matter of seconds, my f150....lol. it takes about a minute for the drivers window to go all the way up, that is if you can depress the window switch! something broke on that too...

OOOH! Superduty trucks! now you're talkin my language. I used to have a 93 Superduty 7.3 flatbed with the 5 spd. LOVED THAT BEAST. needed injectors and some more bleeding on the brakes, but it was freakin cool to drive. a DUI driver totalled it, err rather I totalled his minivan and saved his life by swerving to avoid head on impact.

Wasnt a fan of the close shift pattern, I missed 3/5th gear all the time.

i had an 03 6.0l PSD with the 5 speed torqueshift auto....and a custom tune. 100hp/220ftlbs.
4 wheel smoking with 35"tires and 3.73 gears. awesome.
i could cut 1.7 second 60' times with that bad boy, and stay under 2.0 in the rain in 4wd.

it could make it up my driveway in 2wd. im still stuck. bed full of trash cans, waiting to go to the dump.

:(
can a brother get some rain please!!!

I know it's not a truck, but I love my Subaru. It's AWD works great. I can get through snow (fresh and icy) with just normal M+S tyres pretty well (I haven't had to go through really deep snow yet, though).

My soon to be in-laws have a recent model F150 with 4WD and they haven't had any problems with it. We took it up into the mountains recently and it just cruised through the snow (they have studded tyres).

I've had my Impreza for 5 years now and the only time I can't drive it is when the snow is deep enough and hard enough to get stuck and jammed under the bumper. The best part is never having to clean out the parking spot. I just kick the snow out from around the bumper and the tires and drive right out.

Last year we had an ice storm and I didn't work well in that. It doesn't matter how many tires have power when none of them can get traction.

I've had my Impreza for 5 years now and the only time I can't drive it is when the snow is deep enough and hard enough to get stuck and jammed under the bumper. The best part is never having to clean out the parking spot. I just kick the snow out from around the bumper and the tires and drive right out.

Last year we had an ice storm and I didn't work well in that. It doesn't matter how many tires have power when none of them can get traction.

Another Subie owner! :mug: I've had my WRX for over 6 years (purchased June 2002). I haven't had to drive on pure ice yet, but I would think that with studded tyres it would grip excellently. I'd still drive slower than in snow to be safe though.

IMO, ice sucks to drive on. I'd prefer to have something with a curb weight of 40K+ pounds, a big blade on the front and wide steel tracks to travel on that stuff. that or a Bobcat 863.

lol

I MADE IT OUT!

got down to town, filled up, and picked up some neccesities. (however you spell that) some Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale!
i am celebrating getting the pig up the hill. the rain help melt a little.

of course, when i returned home, i flicked the 4wd switch, bam. i am 4x4.....
good thing, it is supposed to snow tonight. i need to get out in the morning..

good to hear ya got it up the driveway. now, have you considered perhaps changing the grade of your driveway for the future so you dont have such an uphill battle? or maybe just the bronco with a little trailer? not tryin to be a wiseguy, but its an idea.

lol

nah, changing the grade would cost more than 10 new f150's with working 4wd..

what i NEED to do, is fix the damned truck. just ran into a crunch with xmas, and 11 people coming... mom @ the airport in the morning to pick up, and one one broken 4x4 to use to get therre! (actually, my 2001 rodeo 4wd is broke too!)

Back