What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, let's turn this into a "what are you cooking now" thread.

It's a cold, rainy day here in Toledo. I've got a 3lb pot roast slowly cooking away, and some wheat bread dough rising.

The honey wheat.

ForumRunner_20131019_153700.jpg

Man oh man that pizza looks good, ChefRex! I got a new cast iron pan and used it yesterday for the first time making a Hawaiian pizza. Didn't even think to take pictures, but I have some extra pizza dough and sauce in the freezer for sometime soon to make another.

We had a twelve hour unscheduled electricity failure last night that started just as i was begining to make our burgers from scratch last night.

Still made burgers from scratch, just did em entirely over charcoal :D

Sorry for the crappy pic, it was taken by torchlight with my phone.
IMG-20131019-WA0000_zpsf1abc83d.jpg

We had a twelve hour unscheduled electricity failure last night that started just as i was begining to make our burgers from scratch last night.

Still made burgers from scratch, just did em entirely over charcoal :D

Sorry for the crappy pic, it was taken by torchlight with my phone.
IMG-20131019-WA0000_zpsf1abc83d.jpg

Nice save!
Regards, GF. :mug:

I got no pics but I cooked several things . Sweet corn bread that came out pretty good . 14 bean cajun soup that is good . columbus SMaSH , could be good or horrible I guess I will find out later . Getting ready to make some hot sauce from Trinidad Scorpion and ghost peppers .

I made a quinoa veggie soup last night.

Sweat one chopped onion, a couple handfuls of chopped carrots, and 3-4 cloves of diced garlic in olive oil until the onions are done. Add 2 cartons of broth, an undrained can of diced tomatoes, a cup of uncooked quinoa, and a half teaspoon each of marjoram, parsley, thyme, lemon pepper, and black pepper. Bring it to a boil then add a nice big handful of fresh green beans, reduce heat to low and cover, simmering for 10 minutes. Add a quarter head of purple cabbage sliced into thin ribbons and simmer covered 10 more minutes.

I think next time I make this I'll leave out the cabbage, and cut the quinoa back to a half a cup instead of a whole cup. I might add some lima beans too.

I pounded out some chicken breasts tonight with a mallet, spiced, grilled, sliced. Then some penne pasta done al dente, then a simple cream sauce of tomato sauce and heavy cream on top of some sauteed garlic, basil, mixed that with the pasta, then chicken on top. It was very yummy. No pics, was in a hurry to feed hungry kids.

Happy Sunday foodies.

Took longer than a weekend from start to finish but this weekend I started to sample the fruits of my labour :)

1. While out cycling and minding my own business I stumbled upon field after field of corn.

4VwtH.jpg

2. After appropriating a bagfull I de-husked them and set them out to dry.

4VwvQ.jpg

3. Several weeks later when they were dry I removed the nibs from the ears.

4Vwy7.jpg

4. Ground the feckers into flour in my corona grain mill. Yay, my mill is no longer a unitasker, AB would be proud :)

4VwzU.jpg

5. Mixed the flour with a little water and salt and dropped the dough onto my double sided griddle sandwich toaster thingyamewhatsit. All that time and effort to remove the water and I'm now putting it back in :)

4VwMN.jpg

6. Closed the lid and applied pressure to flatted the dough out and cooked until golden. Lovely fresh corn "tortillas" will be available all winter long in my house.

4VwNg.jpg

Not real corn tortillas as the corn is not lime treated before grinding but to me they smell, taste and look like the real thing!

Native Americans used to make something very similar, some still do. They use more water so it's less of a dough & more like a batter, they cook it on a flat rock, or these days a flat griddle. Turns out like a thin crispbread. Different from a Mexican tortilla.
Regards, GF.

Native Americans used to make something very similar, some still do. They use more water so it's less of a dough & more like a batter, they cook it on a flat rock, or these days a flat griddle. Turns out like a thin crispbread. Different from a Mexican tortilla.
Regards, GF.

Cheers for the info, I will give it a go next time!

They are decadent, I only make them a few times a year. I used a block of Belgian chocolate for the coating, it is so much better than using chocolate chips.

This weekend I broiled some fish with a Parmesan, butter, lemon, mayo, and spices coating. Actually turned out good. I don't cook fish that often and when I do it's usually deep fried or grilled.

Latest posts

Back