Removing Liquid Post While Carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMannion87

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a beer (BM's Centennial Blonde) that is carbonating at 30 psi in my kegerator right now. The liquid out post that is currently on the keg is damaged. I need to remove it and replace it with the new one that I have so I can dispense the beer tomorrow night.

My question is, how do I go about swapping out the posts without spraying beer everywhere? I shut of the gas line and attempted to unscrew the old one, but as soon as it came loose, beer shot everywhere. Any quick replies would be greatly appreciated as I need to serve this beer tomorrow night! Thanks in advance!

1st shut off the gas.
If its a ball lock keg, pull the ring on the relief valve then remove the liquid post.
If its a pin lock keg, use a small screw driver to press the center of the gas in post to relieve the pressure then remove the liquid post.

One of my favorite tricks it to put the wrong post in the wrong position.

I am ashamed to tell you how many times I have done this BONEHEADED move, so I will not.

I
  1. wait until the beer is carbonated, chill it and vent all the pressure through the "pressure release valve or the "In" post.
  2. Quickly loose both and place the correct post in place.
  3. Charge the keg, VENT, and charge again

You should not loose any beer.

Thanks for the quick replies, that worked perfectly. Is there any chance that I lost carbonation when I just shut of the gas and beer sprayed everywhere?

Latest posts

Back