Typical Cost to Brew an Extract Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randallr

Reaction score
What is the typical cost to brew a 5 gallon batch of beer? My girlfriend bought me a starter kit for my first beer, which I understand was somewhere in the $30 range. What would it cost to buy everything individually for my second beer?

I know there is a large range but maybe you could provide that along with some examples. She got me this kit for Valentine's Day...she'd probably win an award for best GF ever on this forum. Needless to say, I'm very excited about my new hobby.

It's probably around the same amount. Recipe kits don't seem to be much different in cost than buying the same ingredients individually.

E.g. Austin Homebrew,
6 lbs LME $16.75
3 oz. hops $6
Fermentis yeast $3.50
1 lb. of Crystal grains $1.75

$28.

Kits often come with little bonuses, though, like a grain stocking, priming sugar, and bottle caps. That said, I've quickly come to prefer shopping for the ingredients individually. At my LHBSs, at least, custom recipes tend to be a bit more expensive for similar batches, but the freshness and customization options make it worthwhile.

My typical 5 gallon batch with "specialty grains" is anywhere from $40-$60

Like others have said, $25-45 and that includes the priming sugar, bottle caps, and yeast which other kits leave out.

The true cost will be measured in the countless hours you spend thinking about beer, about brewing, the obsessive nights you lie awake dreaming of a barleywine or a strong ale. The passion will haunt you, eventually driving a stake between you and the ones you love. In time, your girlfriend will rue the day she ever bought that accursed kit. A kit and a hobby that only required you to give up your life and your immortal soul!!!! :eek:

Welcome to HBT and welcome to your new hobby!! Gosh, I sure do love beer...:mug:

I do extract kits. I usually spend about 35-45 on each kit. (All Grain kits are cheaper 20-30 dollar range) Comes with everything I need except bottles. If I save bottles then i am only into it 35-45. If I have to buy the bottles then you I am looking at about $16 per case of 24 at my LHBS

Back