cooler bulkhead nipple leaking issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aronius

Reaction score
After weeks of reading about mash tun designs and designing my own I finally built my own 10 gallon, copper manifold, brass ball valve and nipple system using the original O-ring that came with the cooler only to find it leaks. After several trips to the hardware stores (nice that there is a Lowe's and Home Depot adjacent to one another) and rummaging about my house I found what seems to be a great solution. I found a spare stainless steel swivel shower head that I cheaply bought from the WalMart. I took it apart wondering what might be inside. There was a huge rubber grommet/washer that seals with the ball inside. With some force this threaded onto the nipple and made a nice spongey seal. I can hand tighten all the pieces with no leaks so far on my trial runs. My only concern now about this easy fix- is the rubber grommet safe? I'm sure it can handle the temperature and I always take a few mouthfulls of water in the shower

My only concern now about this easy fix- is the rubber grommet safe? I'm sure it can handle the temperature and I always take a few mouthfulls of water in the shower

It's impossible to say, really.. without knowing what the grommet is actually made. More than likely you are fine, but can't say for sure. Only the Oracle would know.

Instead of of using the rubbing grommet, what about a silicone oring? You can buy flat the flat ones, or make one yourself using one of those silicone potholders / baking dishes.

Latest posts

Back