Mash one day and boil the next...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was wondering if you can mash one day and boil the next? I wanted to brew a batch today but it''s getting a little late. I don't have any lights on my deck and by the time I get the burner going it will be dark. Any problems if you store it for a day?

You should be fine. Its been done many times before without any kind of infection. My advice is once you close the lid dont open it at all, period. Because its going to get a crap load of time to mash and opening it will only give opportunity for infection.

On Labor day, my friends and I mashed 40 lbs in our cooler and wrapped it with a space blanket and regular blanket. Drained the first runnings and batch sparge the next day.

Only lost 10F overnight. I can't imagine there was any lacto fermentation in that. Also had eff in the 90% + range, but it's hard to tell because the result was a partigyle brew making the math a bit complicated.

I wouldn't hesitate to do it again, even with a lesser amount of grain. I think the thing is you're going to get a highly fermentable wort, which is fine as long as you're down with that.

I've done it and worked out just fine. I mashed, sparged and lautered to my kettle. I then covered up the kettle with lid and left it until the next day. Did the boil the next day and it actually turned out to be one of my best brews. It didn't sour at all. I don't think you'd have a problem if you boiled the next day, I didn't.:mug:

i have actually mashed over night in a cooler with a coat wrapped around it and then sparged and boiled the next day. i didnt have any problem with souring at all the efficiency was great.

I did it out of necessity once too. I mashed, sparged, and collected the wort in a spare sanitized ice chest, let it sit overnight, then put it in my boil kettle and boiled it the next day. I wouldn't recommend it as a rule, but if you keep sanitary conditions, you should do fine.

Back