Question of preference

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdew4545

Reaction score
So for previous batches I've made, i have used a plastice bucket as primary and glass carboy as secondary. I now have two buckets and still only one glass carboy. I'm thinking about doing two batches at once because I'll have the motivation for one already so why not do another at the same time, right? But, is there any reason not to use a bucket as a secondary fermenter? Besides wanting to watch how the beer clears up and everything, I'm assuming it doesn't really matter. Only thing I don't know is if it will acquire any plasticky taste sitting in a bucket for longer than a week. Let me know what you think.

It's much easier to seal a carboy with an airlock to protect against infection. You can easily keep a couple of secondary carboys full with a single primary bucket.

I use a plastic bucket as my secondary, I normaly leave it in there for three weeks. I have nerver picked up any plastic or off flavors. If you sanitize everthing properly and use an air lock there should'n't be any room for infection.

I use buckets for primary and secondary. I've also brewed big beers that have taken more than 2 months in secondary with no problems at all. Yes plastic is somewhat porous but these are food grade and are much denser then their standard counterparts.

Wild

or, just let it sit in primary for 10-12 days, then go straight to the bottle. just let them condition in the bottle for a few extra weeks.

I have 4 plastic buckets and use them for both - no problems with care of the plastic - do not stack them inside each other (cause possible deep scratch for something to hide in) sanitize well after and before racking. also clean the seal good and air dry for storage.

I use bleach for the buckets and the seals are as fresh as batch one. the buckets have picked up a slight coloration but are still 100% fine.

Back